"Bensons Oatmeal Stout" - a tribute to mans best friend

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a great but sad thread.
Well maybe G, but as the religious types say, look on it as a celebration. ;)
I've been up in Northumberland this week, getting snowed in, at a cottage, not that sort, :eek: a nice sort, ;) Mrs. S the girls and I had a great time. :D
While I was away I bought my oats ready for this one. :D
Dogs in snow, they never stopped, brill :D
5211903009_1405fc5a62_b.jpg

S

Great pic :thumb:

Hope the beer turns out a good one, I'll be kegging mine later this week.

Springer said:
This has been a great but sad thread.
Well maybe G, but as the religious types say, look on it as a celebration. ;)
I've been up in Northumberland this week, getting snowed in, at a cottage, not that sort, :eek: a nice sort, ;) Mrs. S the girls and I had a great time. :D
While I was away I bought my oats ready for this one. :D
Dogs in snow, they never stopped, brill :D
5211903009_1405fc5a62_b.jpg

S

How good is that :thumb: :thumb: That is my idea of heaven in a cottage in the middle of nowhere and getting snowed in, and northumberland is my favorite place in the whole wide world, but not been for a few years after we had a very wet two weeks in bamburgh with the in laws and two young kids. Say no more.

Cheers

AG

Yes Northumberland is our packs favorite place, a few miles south of Bamborough, Low Newton only 70 dwellings and a pub that brews its own beer. :D Mind you I took a crate of Gobnoblin?, clone up to supplement things a bit ;)

View out the window. Just tried to book for March, but not available until next October. :(

5218646603_b7de65d675_b.jpg

Sorry to nick the thread Wez, hows the brew looking ?

Please, please nick away, i'm sure Benny would not have wanted to sit through a brewday thread with no pics of other dogs :thumb:

I'm enjoying the read and will be sad when the thread sinks down again ;)

The brew will be kegged this week, it's dine it's business and is now clearing it'self up :cool:

Keep the doggie banter going :thumb:

My favorite thread at the moment so lets keep it alive. The brew has yet to be sampled so that should keep interest up.

Springer said:
Yes Northumberland is our packs favorite place, a few miles south of Bamborough, Low Newton only 70 dwellings and a pub that brews its own beer. :D Mind you I took a crate of Gobnoblin?, clone up to supplement things a bit ;)

View out the window. Just tried to book for March, but not available until next October. :(

5218646603_b7de65d675_b.jpg

I like low newton always dead posh though seems like Edinburgh by sea. I didn't know they had started brewing at low newton. Last time I was their they were having a "black tie summer ball".

We used to stay in a bungalow in Beadnell but then they stopped renting it out. I would so love to go back but as I said we had a bad experience a few years ago, Not much fun in the wet with two young kids.

We spent our honeymoon in sea houses. I spent most nights in the Harbour inn, the only pub to let dogs inside and they had plenty of Jennings on which was rather memorable.

Cheers

AG

I like low newton always dead posh though

5221097408_021b23798a_b.jpg

Probably was until they started to let white van man stay. :lol: Bet it gets a bit overcrowded for me in season. ;)

More dogs for you here Wez, they even let wet stinking springers into the pub, The Ship Inn.

5221117180_a63f590f08_b.jpg

Brown had just been messing with a dead seagull and Black has found a bit that she couldn't reach. :lol:

Springer said:
Probably was until they started to let white van man stay. :lol: Bet it gets a bit overcrowded for me in season. ;)

More dogs for you here Wez, they even let wet stinking springers into the pub, The Ship Inn.

It can be busy in the height of season but then I never think northumberland gets that busy anyway, not many people know about it.. SHH don't tell anyone.... heheheh. Most of the beaches are only busy for the firat couple of hudred yards either side of the carparks.

We stayed in Somerset this summer in Porlock and the pub also The Ship Inn let dogs anywhere even in the dinning room. At the end of the day in winter time these places need all the support they can get so letting dogs in is probably essential. I used to have a shop and always let dogs in they were usually better behaved than children.

:cheers:

AG

You see once you have been you don't want to tell anyone but you have too. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:D :D :D
The brewery water supply has thawed :D :D :D . only a slight drip to fix. So the oats have been toasted and its all in the mash tun, time to go and put on the sparge water :D :D :D
Might have to try a glass of gobnoblin clone to see how it has faired in the cold.............well sounds a good enough reason to me :drink:

Edit,
all done with no problems, hit the targets, aroma was really good, can't wait to taste it. :D

Am just sampling a bottle of this, bit early yet, but thought " I just gotta know " as the man said in the film. Yes it is a tribute to Benson, and will be even better after a respectable conditioning time :D :D :D

:cheers: Boy

Not too sure Cee, this is my first Oatmeal, but just had to try it, others will give a better answer. For sure it is more than 11 days :oops: :lol: I have quite a bit of other stock to hand ;) but could not wait any longer :roll:
Even at this stage it is looking very very promising.
S

I try and condition bottled beers for a month, but by the time a month or so later when I am coming to the end of my supply it starts really getting better. So my plan is to brew more frequently and leave it to mature for 8 weeks before sampling. Very hard tough.

Springer what a great tribute to old benson. I'm brewing my oatmeal on monday so I think it will be a tribute to benson and all springers (mine would be jealous if I didn't say that)

:cheers:

AG

Same here GA, if you make sure you have plenty to drink you won't be tempted to drink "green beer". I'm currently having trouble convincing SWMBO why we need so many bottles in storage :lol: they just don't understand :roll:

Great thread!

We had a cocker when I was a kid, but now I'm (allegedly) all grown up, I have an 8 month old Black Labrador called Oscar.

He's clearly into the swing of things as he licks duvel off the carpet, tries to eat out of the cupboard I put my ingredients in and was caught redhanded eating out of my mash tun last week (after i'd got all the wort out I'm glad to say)!

disgruntledgoat said:
He's clearly into the swing of things as he licks duvel off the carpet, tries to eat out of the cupboard I put my ingredients in and was caught redhanded eating out of my mash tun last week (after i'd got all the wort out I'm glad to say)!

Mine just eats other dogs Sh*t :eek: :eek: :eek: . Where the F*&k did he get that from ??

:lol: :lol:

Back