Bergland Stockpot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping I can get some advice if anyone can help. For AG do folk boil with a false bottom or a bag? I am just unsure, I ve never seen this but thought i'd ask.

neither, false bottoms are an optional tun feature, occasionally you will find one in a boiler as a hop stopper though generally under the heat source (elements) as if the boil occours below it can lift and devalue the FB as a hop stopper

However when Biab brewing with active heat during the mash some will place something inside to ensure the bag stays off the heat source. however imho a better mash can be achieved by heating upto a good strike temp that leaves the mash at 67C after mixing the grain (doughing in) and relying on insulation to maintain the temperature during the mash period.

I ordered it a few days ago, it's arrived in all it's beauty! Great service at a great price.

Hi
Could you let me know who you contacted as didn't think they were shipping to the UK anymore. I need a mash tun so would be great.
Thanks

About to start all grain.

Bought a large aluminium Meyer pot from eBay, great chunky thing about 10 mm thick all round.

Some very good stuff on YouTube, especially from the US.

I am using a ss steamer upside down to keep the bag from the heat source.

Got this tip from a US woman on YouTube.

Good brewing all.

About to start all grain.

Bought a large aluminium Meyer pot from eBay, great chunky thing about 10 mm thick all round.

Some very good stuff on YouTube, especially from the US.

I am using a ss steamer upside down to keep the bag from the heat source.

Got this tip from a US woman on YouTube.

Good brewing all.

imho you will get a better result by wrapping the hot pot in insulation for the mash than if you try to cook it with grain in as the grain bag wont absorb heat evenly and will probably end up getting cooked at the bottom denaturing the working enzymes..

Taking up your point.

I have lined a large cardboard box with cellotex which just fits over my pot, I will use this.

With regard to your point about cooking the grain, BIAB has been around for a long time now and although conversion rates for mashing do not reach hot box methods they are good enough for home brewing.

Latest posts

Back