Best Brew you have ever done Kit or All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ironically my best ever brew was the first attempt at the one that's currently giving me lingering bitterness issues. a hazy pale ale based around what i could find online about sourcery from magic rock. i sort of want 4 house styles ( malty US pale, west coast IPA, US amber ale and hazy pale and thought id nailed my hazy pale first time with this but evidently not!

Probably the Greg Hughes Mild recipe, it really is the perfect session ale, fairly low alcohol, with a nutty chocolatey taste. It might not to be to everyone’s taste but for me it is just the ideal beer.

My best was a chocolate milk stout, Christmas 2019, everything went smooth, and the fact the keg kicked 3 days after it was started ( not all my doing!) Tasted superb. Hope this year's tastes just as well.

I have a few that I'm pleased with at the moment.
First is my ongoing Tribute clone. Its had a few tweaks along the way and is just about spot on..well I think it is! I may try swapping some of the maris otter in the future.
Next is my pipster pale which is an American pale with citra,cascade and centennial. Thus is WIP..Next adjustment I think will be to add some oats and drop the bitterness slightly. Finally first attempt ag of an American amber is a recent brew and I'm very excited about it.
I would add that there's only one brew I couldn't drink which was a cali common that got infected and tasted like sprouts!

I think from an accuracy/quality of beer compared to commercial examples standpoint, my best AG brews ar the Greg Hughes Weissbier or his Belgian Dubbel. The Weissbier in particular is a good one because you really dont have to do much, its an easy recipe and all you really have to do is give thay glorious Weihenstephan yeast a platform to do its stuff.

I have high hopes for my Perle Pilsner thats in cold crash atm, preciesely because I have had the patience to levae it a while.

Not done many kits but I was blown away by the quality of the ones I actually did make after a 30 year break. Best for me and the only one I still make is tiny rebel cwtch. Made an AG version and I’ll try again but the kit is so good I’m more than happy brewing that, why fix what’s not broken?

I think from an accuracy/quality of beer compared to commercial examples standpoint, my best AG brews ar the Greg Hughes Weissbier or his Belgian Dubbel. The Weissbier in particular is a good one because you really dont have to do much, its an easy recipe and all you really have to do is give thay glorious Weihenstephan yeast a platform to do its stuff.

I have high hopes for my Perle Pilsner thats in cold crash atm, preciesely because I have had the patience to levae it a while.
Hi I have 100g of perle 100g of Sabro, 5kg of Vienna malt, 2kg extra pale MO, torrified wheat, carapils and caramalt, safale o4, and safelager 23, can I make a pilsner? Sorry if I've hijacked the thread

Hi I have 100g of perle 100g of Sabro, 5kg of Vienna malt, 2kg extra pale MO, torrified wheat, carapils and caramalt, safale o4, and safelager 23, can I make a pilsner? Sorry if I've hijacked the thread
Id probably go a for a nice soft and fruity pale ale with that lot tbh.

I'd give a +1 to the David Heath Verdant IPA, this was probably the first brew I did that I thought could compete with a commercial brew.

But the best I've done recently I'll probably never be able to replicate. I thought I'd try a sort of Parti-gyle experiment, I basically brewed a Blacksheep Ale clone, then using the same grains and a bit of DME mashed and boiled again with half the water used for the Blacksheep, some Lactose, then 30 minute Hopstand with Mosaic, Citra and Idaho#7 and Dryhop with Idaho#7.

It turned out really nice. My intention was to try and make a low ABV IPA and it came out at 2.2%, but you'd never know it had such a low ABV. I might try and replicate it using the Blacksheep recipe but with much more base malt.

Worst thing is it was fermented in a 4.5L Demijohn so I only got 10 x 330ml bottles. aheadbutt

Sadly I didn't make a note of the complete recipe but I decided to make my own attempt at a pale saison. From memory it was:
40% pilsner,40%Vienna,10% wheat, 50g coriander seeds, Lallemand saison yeast.

It was bloody lovely :beer1:

I watched a documentary about a wine maker in Margaret River WA, bearing in mind they only have one crack at making wine each year. One thing she said which stuck with me was. 'The next one will be the best' I think that is what is good about being ones own critic, never be satisfied.

Latest posts

Back