Best gauge mesh for a hop spider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
What is the consensus on mesh gauge for hop spiders, I have seen it mentioned that 300 micron or 400 micron is best for pellets but I see the grainfather spider has a courser 800 micron.

Last edited:
I recently bought this one on the Malt Miller's site which is listed as 0.2mm aperture (200 micron/80 mesh). That gets totally blocked by pellets, to the point where I can't see it not affecting hop utilisation. I presume it's better suited to leaf hops than pellet; should have done more research first...

I've ended up using the hop spider as a filter when transferring to the FV (after a good whirlpool) to good effect so not a total writeoff.

I like 300, 400 would be ok too I think. I had one that was 800 and a lot more hop debris got through and it also drained a lot faster, probably had better utilization and yeast cakes would be green as well. It did prevent clogs which is the point though so I might consider 800 if I was buying it again. The 300s take a while to drain unless you stir.

So consider the 800, or 500 for a middle of the road version.

I recently bought this one on the Malt Miller's site which is listed as 0.2mm aperture (200 micron/80 mesh). That gets totally blocked by pellets, to the point where I can't see it not affecting hop utilisation. I presume it's better suited to leaf hops than pellet; should have done more research first...

I've ended up using the hop spider as a filter when transferring to the FV (after a good whirlpool) to good effect so not a total writeoff.
200 yes that's small I can imagine that being an issue

I like 300, 400 would be ok too I think. I had one that was 800 and a lot more hop debris got through and it also drained a lot faster, probably had better utilization and yeast cakes would be green as well. It did prevent clogs which is the point though so I might consider 800 if I was buying it again. The 300s take a while to drain unless you stir.
300 it is then, any recommendations on what percentage to up your hop bill if using it?

I have a 300 micron hop spider and have had no problems so far. In fact very pleased with it, just use pellets nowadays.

Is it for a grainfather?
If it's for a great big boil kettle I'd say 1 inch mesh...I used a spider for ages..then tried a brew without and never used it since! Might be me but I think my beers taste much better!

Is it for a grainfather?
If it's for a great big boil kettle I'd say 1 inch mesh...I used a spider for ages..then tried a brew without and never used it since! Might be me but I think my beers taste much better!
It's not for a grainfather, I am tempted to try just dumping the hops in the kettle.

Ah...just chuck em in! After chilling just leave the whole lot settle while you have a tidy up for half hour,then slowly start drawing off the wort. The hops and break will slowly form it's own filter over your...filter and you will get minimum transfer.

I have the 500 micron mesh one from Get Er Brewed, and use it with pellets. Seems to be ok so far, but I do put a little extra in. Just chucking them in isn't an option for me using a plate chiller, that would be a complete disaster if I did, especially as the bazooka in the Brauheld is unusable (only ever found them useful with whole hops in the past anyway, they clog too fast with pellets). lol

I used to just chuck them in in a bag with my old kit to be honest, again adding a few extra for the bag so to speak. Didn't find my beers tasted any different to putting them in loose.

Haha but why exactly, I'm going to chuck them in this next brew and see what problems I do or don't encounter.
Making a heavily hopped AIPA the second time used a spider and didn't get within a bulls roar of the first in hop aroma/flavour.
Let everything settle out even if it takes an hour or two, another tip leave the immersion chiller in place until you have emptied the kettle, saves disturbing all the trub again.

Making a heavily hopped AIPA the second time used a spider and didn't get within a bulls roar of the first in hop aroma/flavour.
Let everything settle out even if it takes an hour or two, another tip leave the immersion chiller in place until you have emptied the kettle, saves disturbing all the trub again.
Cheers, I was wondering whether to remove the chiller and try and whirlpool a little with a ladle.

Contrary to a lot of people I really like my hop spider. It’s a bit of a monster though and takes up most of the free space in my kettle, I can just fit my immersion chiller in alongside it. It says it’s 15cm wide by 35cm high but it certainly feels bigger than that.

I’ve only used it for one very hoppy brew (Sorachi saison with 225g of Sorachi Ace) but it certainly didn’t stop the hops from shining through.

I only bought it when I started sitting my BrewDevil on the floor and so need to transfer to FV through the pump if I don’t want to lift my full boiler from the floor to the worktop. I’m off to Ikea in 4 weeks time so might see if I can get a mesh pan screen to use as a false bottom and see if it makes a difference too.

It arrived in 4 days from China as well, I was very pleased:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqI1NF5

Last edited:
Foxy, how do you filter and do you use a plate chiller?
I use a helix or some patience and a dip tube. If 'no chill' a single helix will do the job, all that will go into the tube is wort and cold break, some cold break is good for the yeast.
Cooling with the immersion chiller and a double helix is a little trickier but the same results can be had with a dip tube and patience.
001.JPG
004.JPG

008.JPG

Latest posts

Back