Best Location ,Place ,Area ?????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthy79

Reaction score
Hi

I am a complete Noob to Home brewing and I'm after some information on where to start ? My friend and i have purchased The Northern Brewer,Brewery in a box Essential Starter Kit. We are looking for advice on the best place to prepare make , brew ,store etc .We are both married and don't want end up in trouble for ruining the kitchen due to some silly mistake so any advice would be appreciated. We have a garage available as well but would like to be sure we get the best results.

Many Thanks
Worthy79:thumb:

I do it in the kitchen, but a few points to bear in mind...
1/ Beer wort is very sticky so needs a good clean up afterwards
2/ Boiling wort is hot as well as sticky. Watch it like a hawk
3/ Moving boiling wort to sink for cold break is heavy and hot.
All in all a recipe for disaster, but touch wood none in the bg home yet
Bg

Brewing in the garage is fine but you need to consider a supply of water and heat. You'll use lots of water for cleaning as well as brewing and this time of year you may struggle to maintain the temp required for fermentation to be successful.
I brew in the kitchen. When I was doing kits this too stayed in the kitchen on a tray in a quiet corner.
I now do ag..still in the kitchen but the finished wort is put into a brew fridge in the garage.
My only "fault" is I have beer bottles everywhere!

Hi

I am a complete Noob to Home brewing and I'm after some information on where to start ? My friend and i have purchased The Northern Brewer,Brewery in a box Essential Starter Kit. We are looking for advice on the best place to prepare make , brew ,store etc .We are both married and don't want end up in trouble for ruining the kitchen due to some silly mistake so any advice would be appreciated. We have a garage available as well but would like to be sure we get the best results.

Many Thanks
Worthy79:thumb:

£65 that's a bargain

I take it your going to boil on the kitchen hob. If you get burn wort on it, it's a nightmare to clean off.

Top tip: Get some kitchen foil and cut a hole in it for the gas ring. I also get 4 more sheet of foil to slide underneath the first one (top, bottom and both sides) just in case any wort sneaks through the hole I cut in the first sheet.
If you spill any wort, it'll just burn onto the foil and you can remove that and throw it away at the end of brewday

Boiling, cooling, and supply of water is the first hurdle. My hob will allow 10 kg that's 10 litres so for me job one would be to make a support to take at least some of the pans weight, the pan in your kit would not work as it's stainless steel and stainless steel is non magnetic so my hob would not heat it. I have water in my garage but no drain so again another problem, there does not seem to be a cooling system in the kit, this means you will need time for the brew to cool, this is why I do kit beer not from the grain, as you will need to leave it cool and 40 pints takes a long time to cool.

I made a mistake last year and my mix was 24°C instead of the 19°C I wanted, so stuck the fermenter in the freezer and it took 1/2 hour to cool down when the freezer was at 8°C I hope some one can say how long from 100°C but cooling from 100°C to 30°C your looking at a few hours, to get from 30°C to 20°C will depend on ambient temperature, without some thing to help cooling that last 10°C can take a very long time, likely a walk away and finish it next day job. That could present a problem in a kitchen.

Latest posts

Back