BIAB Do I Don’t I

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accuracy of ±1°C(1.8°F). Debatable, when most are focusing on a narrow range of 63°C to 68°C for control over enzyme activity and fermentability.

That's interesting and not something I had considered before.
So as I mash at 66 or 67c for the majority of my brews, what effect would it actually have if the mash was 65 (-1) or 68 (+1) in that range?

I don't know of a online calc thing that would say the impact

So as I mash at 66 or 67c for the majority of my brews, what effect would it actually have if the mash was 65 (-1) or 68 (+1) in that range?
You'd be mashing with predominantly a different enzyme, from a light body beer towards a full bodied beer.

Screenshot_20240211-081621-01.jpeg

From Beersmith...
  • Light Body Mash 60-65 C (140-149 F) and 5.1-5.3 pH – This optimizes the activity of beta amylase, which will result in shorter sugar chains that are highly fermentable and fewer unfermentable dextrins. This gives you a high yeast attenuation rate and lower final gravity for the beer. This will give a light refreshing body for lagers and other lighter beers.
  • Medium Body Mash 67 C (153 F) and 5.2-5.5 pH – At this temperature both alpha and beta amylase will be active to a moderate degree, producing a medium body beer with plenty of fermentables but also some dextrins.
  • Full Body Mash 70 C (156-158 F) and 5.3-5.6 pH – A full body mash exploits the peak alpha amylase range by hitting its sweet spot. This leaves a higher percentage of dextrins and longer starch chains and less fermentables. This gives lower attenuation and a higher final gravity for a fuller bodied beer for something like a stout or porter.

It's all a question of how much control you require. This level of accuracy is useless IF you're tweaking the mash temp a calculator like Beersmith.

Last edited:
That's interesting and not something I had considered before.
Generally speaking lower 60's give a dryer (more fermentable) beer. Higher more biscuit & malt flavours (less fermentable, so sweeter finish)

Quick question, I have an 8 ltr stock pot could i use that for a 4.5 ltr batch?

My thoughts are if really tight for space sparge into a FV (I have 2 of the 25 ltr plastic type) then add back in for the boil.

never made beer not even a kit so new ground for me. Happy to make a small gallon batch see how it goes.

Any advice before i try this eg would i better trying a kit first?

thanks

Alan

Quick question, I have an 8 ltr stock pot could i use that for a 4.5 ltr batch?

My thoughts are if really tight for space sparge into a FV (I have 2 of the 25 ltr plastic type) then add back in for the boil.

never made beer not even a kit so new ground for me. Happy to make a small gallon batch see how it goes.

Any advice before i try this eg would i better trying a kit first?

thanks

Alan
That would probably work, if you're boiling with say 5.5 litres of mash you'll probably hit 4.5l to ferment if you keep a close eye on it during the boil. You can always top up with boiled water in the FV if you end up undershooting.

I've recently made the switch from kits to AG BIAB and really liking the results, as long as you have the time to put into it it really delivers a superior end product.

My 19l stock pot gets me 16litres in the FV with a small sparge and a small top up, just wish I had bought a bigger pot now!

That would probably work, if you're boiling with say 5.5 litres of mash you'll probably hit 4.5l to ferment if you keep a close eye on it during the boil. You can always top up with boiled water in the FV if you end up undershooting.

I've recently made the switch from kits to AG BIAB and really liking the results, as long as you have the time to put into it it really delivers a superior end product.

My 19l stock pot gets me 16litres in the FV with a small sparge and a small top up, just wish I had bought a bigger pot now!

cheers just trying this as cider and wine drinker mostly but fancy trying a mexican beer for my son and guiness clone for myself.

Trying to use what i have laying about

Back