Big Bag for BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4dg3r

Reaction score
Hey guys

I Recently bought a 70L pot to move over in to BIAB, away from kits, and i ordered all the supplies including a mash bag but this thing looks like a tea bag compared to my pot.

Does anyone know where you can get large bags from or even custom built ones. Sadly the SWMBO is useless in this area and the dear old mum is moving at the moment so i dont think she will look too kindly on me asking to dig out her sowing machine.

Cheers

Badger

b4dg3r said:
dig out her sowing machine.

Hehe, Will she grow one for you? Sorry couldn't help it :oops:

You can just use a sheet of voile and a bungee to secure it to your boiler whilst you find a more permanent solution if this isn't suitable long term.

Haha posting without coffee never a good idea.

But thanks for the tip, ill look in to that

Some folk on here use the voile and bungee approach constantly and don't ever bother with a bag. I've made a bag out of cheesecloth which used to be sold in tubes, I just sewed up one end - job done.

I'm looking for a bag as my tailor has gone AWOL but I don't fancy paying 32 euros for the bag. The way they work out pricing is crazy.

My pot requires 115cm X 70 sheet, but the dimensions on pricing mean I'm paying for a 178cm X 60 sheet.

Think I'll just get my mums sowing machine out.

gl0ckage said:
Think I'll just get my mums sowing machine out.

glad its not just me

yeah i think ill go with a curtain from dunelm for about 6 quid to start off

From the how-to:

Grain Bag
The only really BIAB-only piece of kit you’ll have to invest in is a grain bag. There are commercial models available but they won’t fit a big pot, you’ll have to befriend a seamstress to get one made. Pure cotton muslin voile is ideal as is the nylon voile used for curtains. Just remember that there is going to be 10kg of wet grain in there at the end of the mash. Seams need to be triple stitched and taped and a drawstring on the top is a must. Tapes running under the bag and crossing in the middle of the bottom panel mean that the pressure on the bottom seams and material is reduced. Simply cut a circle 5cm larger diameter than the external diameter of your pot, then a rectangle with one edge about 10cm longer than your pot is high and the other edge about 5cm longer than the circumference of the circle you just cut: so that's length = (3.14 x (pot diameter + 5) ) + 5.

I've stuck the formulae into a little spreadsheet, just add your pot height and diameter and it works out the size of panels you need to cut. BIABBagCalc.xlsx

:thumb:

i use a piece of voile 1 metre square
and a piece of elastic around the top of the pot
i can raise the height of the bag by pullung the voile through the elastic,
less than £3 ... :party:

i have also started using a disc of celotex to keep the heat in during the mash, and up to the boil,
it now now takes 20 mins to reach boiling from the 160 deg mash out,

Latest posts

Back