Black Sabbath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 3. Think I'm going to do this and put it in a barrel for a party in May. Then do another and bottle it for Christmas times. Forward planning. Contrary to what my Mrs this. It appears I can do it. Think this would be nice from a barrel.

I bought 3. Think I'm going to do this and put it in a barrel for a party in May. Then do another and bottle it for Christmas times. Forward planning. Contrary to what my Mrs this. It appears I can do it. Think this would be nice from a barrel.

Well worth ageing some for Christmas. :thumb:

I'd be interested myself in trying some different yeasts in this but the MB Weiss yeast is not like any other I've tried. It's called a wheat yeast but has loads of the peppery spice and none of the banana thing. By all means give another yeast a go, a saison yeast might work well. Belle Saison has a spicy edge to it, would provide a toned down version I suspect.

From my reading on wheat yeasts you can use fermentation temps to manipulate the flavours. Cold = more cloves/pepperyness warmer = more banana

From my reading on wheat yeasts you can use fermentation temps to manipulate the flavours. Cold = more cloves/pepperyness warmer = more banana

Now that interests me... I love those peppery and clove flavours, especially in a dark, wintery beer.

Now that interests me... I love those peppery and clove flavours, especially in a dark, wintery beer.

When I say cold, were talking about 20C, warm = about 22C-24C as for example the yeast I plan on using say's it has a temp range of up to 30C but I think if you fermented it that warm you'd have a banana bomb of a beer (which some people might like)

Yes I'm sure fermentation temps can be manipulated with different wheat yeasts but you won't get two the same I suspect and MB Weiss is known to be like no other.

Yes I'm sure fermentation temps can be manipulated with different wheat yeasts but you won't get two the same I suspect and MB Weiss is known to be like no other.

I think your probably right as they'll be two completely different strains of wheat yeast. Be interesting though. I've never used wheat yeast before.

Mauribrew wheat yeast isn't stocked by many places, I reckon that's cos it doesn't really make a wheat beer in the way people want them, apparently. It's a one-off, bit of a mystery, unknown origin. I didn't like it at first, first taste was like WTF?! I did an American Pale Ale with it, eventually decided I liked it after a few months in the bottle. But I think it suited the darkness of Black Sabbath much more. Makes a unique stout. I read about a home brewed mild made with MB Weiss yeast, the guy loved it. I feel it works well with roasted malts, not necessarily the darkest roasted malts, I think it'll work with dark crystal, brown malt etc.

This sounds great.

Want to add this to my brew list (having ordered a peco boiler this week it's rapidly growing) along with the GH raspberry wheat beer.

- Could I reuse either the mauribrew (or substitute - GH suggests wyeasts American wheat) yeast with this AND the raspberry wheat beer or will the residue flavours from either affect the 2nd brew?

- If I can, I'm assuming the raspberry wheat beer should be the first of the 2 brews, going by light brew before dark advice and I may have a Black Sabbath with a hint of raspberry.

Thanks for leading the way!

This sounds great.

Want to add this to my brew list (having ordered a peco boiler this week it's rapidly growing) along with the GH raspberry wheat beer.

- Could I reuse either the mauribrew (or substitute - GH suggests wyeasts American wheat) yeast with this AND the raspberry wheat beer or will the residue flavours from either affect the 2nd brew?

- If I can, I'm assuming the raspberry wheat beer should be the first of the 2 brews, going by light brew before dark advice and I may have a Black Sabbath with a hint of raspberry.

Thanks for leading the way!

Yes, but do the raspberry wheat first as you say. American wheat yeast is very different from the Mauribrew Weiss yeast though, two completely different animals.

Would the raspberry be alright with the mauribrew (assuming I can find it).

I am planning to harvest the sa-05 from the HBC grain kit I'm getting so could use that in the sabbath (as well as the black ipa)

Would the raspberry be alright with the mauribrew (assuming I can find it).

I am planning to harvest the sa-05 from the HBC grain kit I'm getting so could use that in the sabbath (as well as the black ipa)

The MB Weiss produces pretty powerful pepper/clove spiciness. You may not want that in your raspberry wheat. I'm not familiar with many wheat yeasts so I'm not sure what a good compromise yeast would be to use in both beers. Perhaps try Danstar Belle Saison, and make a raspberry wheat saison kinda thing and then use the saison yeast in the Sabbath.

Edit: I'm just drinking a beer I made with Belle Saison yeast and its actually pretty similar to the Mauri Weiss yeast. It would work in the Black Sabbath.

I was thinking of trying this porter and making a second batch and adding some vanilla and whiskey barrel to let it age was tempted to throw in some sour cherry as well. Would this porter work with this?

cb381aec95e7311fd9a9db3d30eec588.jpg

Well I kegged and bottled some of this on Tuesday. The next day it was perfect carbonation. Worrying for the bottles. Fine I the keg. It stopped at 1014 and was going no further having been there for 5 days. I used 4g per litre of sugar to carb it up. Think there was still some unfinished business though in fermentation to be at that after 1 day. But tastes lovely and it's really smooth out of the keg. Which I was hoping it would be.

97461b3328a82099df7e7ff0a6be54a4.jpg

Back