Blackberry Wine Specific Gravity at .990

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRM

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had a go at making a gallon batch of blackberry wine. I have never had a go before so I've been following a river cottage handbook recipe but have come a little confused. I have just finished the primary fermenting in a bucket with daily stirring. Up until the 7th day where I was due to strain into a demijohn, it was bubbling away great. On the 7th it had slowed right down.

Now on day 9 (2nd day in the demijohn) I havn't noticed any bubbling from the airlock yet. I took a sample and the hydrometer is currently at .990. Original gravity was 1090.

Is this right or have I messed something up?

Cheers

Nothing wrong with 0.990. Im assuming you are tasting the sample you took? If it tastes too sweet, leave it a bit longer. If it's too dry stabilise it. the lower it gets the dryer it gets. Airlocks arent the go to place for fermentation as i have had whole beer brews without a single drop. Just go on personal taste as long as it's below 0.998 or thereabouts.

So being at 990 after 9 days is ok? I did sample a little and found it way to dry for my liking along with my brothers. I was looking for one closer to a medium sweet. How would I go about this?

Thanks

There are several ways to go about it, some folk back sweeten with some juice, others use artificial sweetners, others will use sugar. You need to be sure you have added stabiliser before you add anymore fermentables.

If you add sugar, make sure you use potassium sorbate and a camden or a stabilser combo or it might restart fermenting.

Don't rush to sweeten it. Let it mature in the jar for a few months, somewhere cool and dark, preferably with oak chips. Blackberry seeds contain tannin, which makes the wine astringent and needs time to mellow.

Latest posts

Back