Blow off tube in Brew Fridge - Urgent!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've had my head in the sand about this issue, but I've got the notoriously high-krausening Coopers Original Stout in the brew fridge getting near to the lid, like some horror movie triffid :shock:

Is there some better way of arranging a blow off tube in the limited space of the brew fridge (pitured below)? Maybe I have to leave the door ajar, take a longer tube out, and let the heater work harder for a while, or maybe I've just got to take the FV out and put it in the trug for a while?

What do you do?

20130826_220304.jpg

:thumb: Ta.

I have no idea what potential quantity of spew to expect, and there is a tube (electric) heater under there is the whole lot spews!

the jar MIGHT fill up and need emptying, use a bit bigger if you can, otherwise empty it when necessary

OK. I've put a shallow dish under it as well now.

I tried to time this so that high krausen would have been this afternoon when I could be awake and around to check it, but it seems to have had a longer lag than recent brews I've done (Wherry, Brewferm, Brewmaker) despite the 22C set (instructions 21-27C) and rehydration. Still only 24 hours, but just longer than those others. I will be edging towards the shed early in the morning!

:thumb:

I never use a bubbler on a beer FV, no need, besides to much co2 is trying to escape for one of those to cope with. A lose fitting lid is more than adequate. I also harvest the krausan in the first 48 hrs for reusing, better than the yeast from the bottom after fermentation.

However accidents do happen. i think we have all seen the picture. :lol: :lol:

+1 for a loose fitting lid. Especially in the confines of a brew fridge.

(I've seen the picture :D)

I'd assumed if I leave the lid loose it might just spew down the sides, rather than in a more controlled fashion through the tube?

There's no fluid in the bubbler by the way. It just happened that a small piece off my racking cane fitted tight into it to connect the tube.

loose lid if I am worried about yeast explosion on the first few days then just use 3/8th gas line with an elbow in to a pot of starsan / water if its in there for ages or on crash chill (Checking the chilling isnt sucking up the liquid every now and then..)

:thumb:
D

Latest posts

Back