Bohemian Pilsener

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planning this next w/e, put together with all the advice gleaned from King of the Lagers, Aleman, thanks; I had the grain made up by Rob (Malt Miller) so thats fixed.

23L
72% efficiency
Mash 90mins at 65C

4390g (85%)Weyermann floor malted Bohemian Pilsener
516g (10%) Weyermann Vienna malt
155g (3%) Weyermann Melanoidin malt
103g (2%) Flaked wheat

80g Saaz 3.1% AA 90mins
40g Saaz 3.1% AA 30mins
35g Saaz 3.1% AA 10mins
30g Saaz 3.1% AA post boil 15mins at 70C

2 pkts Saflager W34/70

OG 1050
EBC 8.9
IBU 41.1

Do the hops need tweeking? I have 200g of them

:cheers:

Just single infusion mash, I believe that's ok with the inclusion of the melanoidin. At 65C, although I've seen recipes with 64 and 63C. However I don't really understand all the nuts and bolts of the mash process for this style :wha: but from what I've gleaned from the various posts on the subject it will be ok :pray:

If you are using the floor malted Czech malt you are borderline for a single infusion mash, and would be safer with a two step mash 20-30 minutes at 62C and 60 Minutes at 70C. The other Weyermann Pilsner malts do not require a step mash

It's not the inclusion of Melanoidin that governs this it the protein content of the pilsner malt itself. If you are not going to decoction mash then adding melanoidin malt is recommended to provide the decoction flavours.

Thanks Aleman :thumb: , I'll do a bit of research regarding decoction mashing, and come back here with any questions.

How does the hop schedule look?

Hop schedule is fine,

Don't worry about decoction mashing, if your mash tun capacity can take it all you need to do is to add some additional hot water to raise the temperature from 62 to 70C after the first 20 minutes of the mash. . . You should only need a couple of litres of water at 95C.

KISS

Great, thanks :thumb: , mash tun is a 28L coolbox, so I think it should be ok, and I'll still start the first mash with 2.5L per kg

Did this today; was a bit low on the second sparge temperature, it had dropped to 67C after 70mins (it was a bit longer as I had to go to the shop to get some silver foil :roll: ). Ended up with 22.5L at OG 1051, topped up to 23L with some cooled boiled wort that was left over.

Looks nice, it's now in the cellar at 12-14C and has just started to ferment :thumb:

Photo014.jpg

Latest posts

Back