Boiler advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a new electric boiler. Unfortunately due to financial circumstances I will be looking at around £100.
I have considered a 30l cygnet which is really a bit small but I can manage. What is the wattage of the element in these?
I assume I would have bypass the thermostat to hold a boil which is no problem. Tap and hop filter would be used from my old boiler.
Any advice or other suggestions would be most welcome.

Yep I use the cygnet: it‘s great. Very popular boiler.
Really sturdy and easy to clean.
I haven’t measured the absolute max capacity but you can do 25L in it.

The element is 2.5kW (spec here: https://www.burco.co.uk/sites/default/files/assets//CYMFCT1030_444440353.pdf)

I shouldn‘t think you’ll have too much trouble reusing your old tap, but you might need to enlarge the hole a bit.

Also if the budget is tight then you might be able to find a second hand one?

Seems to depend, @Cheshire Cat ... My cygnet boils on the top setting but not sufficiently vigorously (I think they call it a 'simmer-stat'). So I put a switch in to bypass the thermostat when I want to. Was easy to do.
I agree and I think the issue is the switch. I had a failure on the previous switch changed it and now it boils much better. I bought a second cygnet and that doesn’t boil as well.

Latest posts

Back