Boiler fail

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillynch

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was boiling a batch of ipa yesterday when my boiler cut out after a little over 30 mins.

It’s a brupak electric boiler and there must have been a build up of **** on the element.

I’d chucked 30g of cascade in at the hot break and I had 50g more of cascade and 50g of Simcoe to add at switch off, so I added them when I realised the boiler wasn’t playing ball.

The malt is used was dinghams pale (6 kg). I cooled the batch and put it in the fermenter and pitched the yeast.

I’d achieved the OG I was predicted
(1.060) and today there is Krausen in the fermenter and there aren’t any off smells.

Can I expect to have a decent tasting brew? I usually boil this batch for at least 60 mins...
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for that, quite a relief. I’ve give the element a good scrub and removed the cut off switch (tut tut), so no further issues hopefully 🤞

Could well be one of those brews that turn out really nice! Definitely no harm done you'll just have a less bitter beer

Mozza is right. 30 minutes is a tad short. I’d worry about DMS. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes to boil off DMS. But I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Latest posts

Back