Book recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to learn about yeast this book is fantastic. Thorough but not too technical for non scientists to understand

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0937381969/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Interesting as you probably know I am and I guess you're doing from what I gather, getting deeper into the yeast side of things. This looks like it might be a good read to understand it as much as anything..

Probably sounds stupid but up until recently I have never given yeast the same level of attention to the recipe build up despite the fact it's what actually makes the damn stuff!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting as you probably know I am and I guess you're doing from what I gather, getting deeper into the yeast side of things. This looks like it might be a good read to understand it as much as anything..

Probably sounds stupid but up until recently I have never given yeast the same level of attention to the recipe build up despite the fact it's what actually makes the damn stuff!!

Tbh I don't think most people do, especially as yeast can give up to about 70% of the flavour to beer. I think it's because there's only a relativley limited amount of dry yeasts and liquid yeasts are expensive and if you want to offset the expense you have to harvest, do starters etc which I think puts off newer brewers

Tbh I don't think most people do, especially as yeast can give up to about 70% of the flavour to beer. I think it's because there's only a relativley limited amount of dry yeasts and liquid yeasts are expensive and if you want to offset the expense you have to harvest, do starters etc which I think puts off newer brewers

I guess people don't realise this as most recipes will tell you which yeast to use and most beer styles have got their own yeast. I would think that you could use any yeast with any beer if you get the flavour you desire. I don't think lager has to be made with lager yeast and ager yeast only, but then again, I prefer cooking to baking because I like to decide myself what ingredients to use and how to use them :P

I was actually looking at the whole range of those element books. they look like a good idea broken down into the elements but not all got great reviews (malt) and also, if you end up buying 3 or 4 of them, it's a little fortune lol!

These are on my Xmas wish list, along with the mitch steele ipa.

Should keep me occupied for a while!

My tuppence worth... I own 3 books:

Home Brew Beer - Greg Hughes
My first book, great book, cheap and a lot of info on styles with a ton of recipes. Fellow brewers I've shown it to, go buy it at Amazon.

Camra's Brew Your Own British Real Ale - Graham Wheeler
My second book. I always felt people were referring to brews/recipes in this book (on the forums) and I was losing out because I didn't own it. It's also a great book (mainly recipes), glad I own it now, feel like I have the menu now :grin:

Mastering Homebrew - Randy Mosher
My third book. By far the best technical book I have seen. It's an amazing book for just flicking through and reading random chapters - including yeast! I love the layout, lots of pictures/diagrams and most importantly, it's kind of at my level (not tooooo technical or deep!). Have a flick through it here (scroll down to the chapters):

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Mastering_Homebrew.html?id=rRN07Cd4H_kC&redir_esc=y

Hope that helps :hat:

Latest posts

Back