Bootleg Biology Sour Solera - my attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfingobo

Reaction score
I started to read the Milk the Funk wiki a few months ago and decided to give the whole solera thing a go. My previous experience of mixed cultures is limited to a couple of really nice batches of beer using WLP 670 American farmhouse blend (sacch and Brett, no bugs).

I obtained a pouch of the spring 21 sour solera blend just past it’s BBE, then life happened and it’s been another month before I’ve been able to start. I’ve gone for a golden sour recipe modified from the one on the MtF wiki (recipe below). My very rough plan (subject to change!) is:

Brew 8L of golden sour wort. Use half to top up a batch of American farmhouse fermented beer that I plan to rack 4L of onto cherries hence needing the top up!

Ferment the 4L of golden sour with the whole pack of solera blend as a sort of starter.

Brew another 8L of golden sour wort in a few weeks and rack this onto the 4L already fermenting in a fermenter king jr.

Brew another 8L a few weeks later and use this to top up the fermenter to near the top, using anything remaining for some other fun project (or more likely as a starter for something else)

In around 9 month time, bottle 8L of the fermented golden sour (or maybe rack some to fruit?). At this point I will probably make a darker wort, with a vague notion to slowly turn this into a very dark solera over several years.

My hope is to run this project until it stops making good beer! I’ll do my best to keep you all updated infrequently.

Attachments

• 4163DBFB-6259-4BF5-A8D7-0F9366BBB308.png
    4163DBFB-6259-4BF5-A8D7-0F9366BBB308.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 49
Brew day went well (should read brew couple of hours really). Left out overnight covered to cool down as I have no means of chilling currently.
7D11D822-D480-4198-BF76-BFE333530905.jpeg

No activity for two weeks then green mould started to grow on top. I know the pouch had just gone out of date but I am surprised that nothing survived in it!

Latest posts

Back