Boris Johnson joins calls to end public sector pay cap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Are we about to see another U turn?

xxxxxxxxx.jpg

Boris Johnson has become the latest senior cabinet minister to put pressure on the chancellor and the PM to end the public sector pay cap.

Sources close to the foreign secretary made it clear that he wants better pay for public service workers.

He joins those, including Michael Gove, who have suggested the government's 1% pay cap should be lifted.

But former chancellor Lord Lamont said ministers were wrong to "gang up" on Chancellor Philip Hammond.

Downing Street has said that any decisions on pay will be taken on a "case by case" basis.

A Whitehall source said Mr Johnson "strongly" believed pay rises could be achieved in "a responsible way", without putting undue pressure on the public finances.

In the Queen's Speech debate last month, Mr Hammond made clear his aversion to higher borrowing.

However, on Sunday Mr Gove, the environment secretary, appeared to reject suggestions that taxes would need to go up to meet the cost of any pay rises.

Pay rises for five million public sector workers are set by independent pay review bodies, but have effectively been capped at 1% since 2013.

Before that, there was a two-year freeze on pay for all but the lowest-paid workers.

The Conservatives went into the election planning to maintain the cap until 2020, but there are growing Tory calls for a rethink after the party lost its majority in the general election.

The pay review bodies cover a wide range of professions, from prison officers and nurses, to judges and senior NHS managers.

Those covering police and teachers' pay are due to report this month.

Boris Johnson's intervention is significant because the BBC understands that some of the independent pay bodies are likely to call for pay increases above 1%.

So, if ministers choose to accept those recommendations, the pay cap would in effect be breached.

Mr Johnson's intervention also places more pressure on the principle of collective cabinet responsibility.

Allies of both Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt and Education Secretary Justine Greening have made no secret of their wish to see pay policy relaxed.

The debate within cabinet is now likely to focus on whether taxes should be raised or spending cut to fund any pay increases.

Former Conservative chancellor Lord Lamont told BBC Radio 4's Today programme public sector pay was on average higher than in the private sector and controlling it was "extremely important".

He said cases could be looked at where there were specific issues around recruitment but objected to the "general pressure that's being applied, the idea that we should abandon restraint of public expenditure".

He said people should not criticise austerity in the same way they might discuss "too many repeats on television" and said it was not right for cabinet ministers to "gang up" on Mr Hammond, saying they were making the chancellor's position "very awkward".

"This is not a choice," he added.

"It is unavoidable that we have restraint on public spending."

BBC.

I just find it funny how all these ministers now advocating for public sector pay rises, last week voted against an amendment calling for public sector pay rises and cheered the vote outcome when the amendment was defeated.

Personally I think they are all jockying for position for when there is a vote to be leader of the Conservatives in the hope of becoming leader and PM.

I think they realised soon after that the public were disgusted with the way they cheered and are now trying to undo the harm it did.

I think they realised soon after that the public were disgusted with the way they cheered and are now trying to undo the harm it did.

I think you're absolutely spot on - the government is not exactly in a strong position on anything at the moment and there is clearly a public mood for showing a little love towards public servants.

I also think the reports of cheering at not having to raise public sector pay are spinning things a little bit. If you listen, it's the usual 'here, here' as the speaker calls out the result - a result which if it had gone the other way would have had potentially terminal consequences for the government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-dup-a7813661.html

Not only that, if the amendment had gone through, it would have effectively obliged the government to accept whatever the pay review bodies propose, which could have created a very difficult situation (many people would support it, but with each percentage point increase costing £1bn, it could easily have forced extra borrowing, or cuts elsewhere).

Boris is definitely not in the Premier League when it comes to back-stabbing ... :thumb:

... unlike Michael Gove who has made it an art form! :whistle:

Tories cheering something that keeps the downtrodden working masses in their place? No change there then! :doh:

PS

If Teresa May was a Football Coach she would be looking at her Cabinet and wondering "Which one of you barstards will score the next home goal?"

I almost (but not quite) feel sorry for her! :whistle:

Boris is definitely not in the Premier League when it comes to back-stabbing ... :thumb:

Oh I think David Cameron might disagree with you there, he was algedly still telling Cameron he would campaign to stay in then went incomunicado in the lead up to announcing support for the out campaign. It's widely beleived he made a calculated decision to campaign for out to he could be a future Tory Leader and PM.

I just find it funny how all these ministers now advocating for public sector pay rises, last week voted against an amendment calling for public sector pay rises and cheered the vote outcome when the amendment was defeated.

Personally I think they are all jockying for position for when there is a vote to be leader of the Conservatives in the hope of becoming leader and PM.

absolutely this!

Oh I think David Cameron might disagree with you there, he was algedly still telling Cameron he would campaign to stay in then went incomunicado in the lead up to announcing support for the out campaign. It's widely beleived he made a calculated decision to campaign for out to he could be a future Tory Leader and PM.

I agree that was exactly why Boris campaigned for Brexit ...

... but he was so quick off the mark to **** on Cameron that I reckon he stabbed himself in the back.

Whenever I think of Boris as "leader" I think of this ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgiWumiXKwk[/ame]

... "I'm the leader?" :doh:

Back