Bottle Conditioning Question...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Falconer

Brewbie
Reaction score
OK. So I've got my third brew (treacle stout) in the FV and will be bottling it this weekend. I have seen a few different suggestions on what to do at this point. I bottle straight from the FV, so no secondary. Some people suggest 2 weeks at room temp then a minimum 2 weeks cold conditioning. Some have suggested cold crashing before bottling. Some say room temp till beer clears then cold storage. I currently store at room temp for a minimum of 2 weeks and then put a few in the fridge for a day or two before I drink them. My first batch didn't last much more than about a month. Here are my problems:

1: I can't cold store more than about 6 bottles at a time. No garage, shed etc.
2: I can't wait much beyond the 2 weeks bottle conditioning before I want to drink it.

Am I doing this OK or do I really need to find a way to cold condition after the initial 2 weeks?

Last edited:
No, sounds fine to me.

I bottle and then stick them back in my brew fridge for a couple of weeks at 20°C to carbonate. Usually have one or two PET bottles in there so I can see/feel how carbed the beer is but after a few days the bottle is usually quite firm. After that I just stick them on a shelf in my garage until I'm ready to drink them. The temperature out there varies with the time of year. I do usually leave it a couple more weeks but drink when you feel they're ready. Heavily hopped IPAs are often better drunk young whereas strong dark beers benefit from maturing for longer. When I want some of the bottled beers I just stick a few in the fridge a day or two before drinking or if it's cold outside then drink them straight from the garage (unheated).

I would be tempted to pop a few bottle of a treacle stout away for a bit, to me they are so much better after an extended conditioning time.

as for the rest, bottle, carb, give a couple of weeks to condition and chill as required.

I would be tempted to pop a few bottle of a treacle stout away for a bit, to me they are so much better after an extended conditioning time.
I currently have all good intentions to put some away, however it tastes lurvely. Also, due to logistical constraints I need to free up some bottles for my next brew, which is a Coopers Hefe Weisen. As well as this, I have another Coopers stout tin with BBE May 2018 that I will need to get started in a few weeks. That batch I intend to store in my dad's garage until nearer the end of the year.

Bottle, keep warm for a week or so then start drinking them. By the time you're on the last bottle you'll know that conditioning for a few weeks would have been worth it but what the heck, the first bottles still weren't all that bad.

The only way I get to condition my beer for the right length of time is to brew more beer than I can drink, but then I just up my consumption to cancel it out...

The only way I get to condition my beer for the right length of time is to brew more beer than I can drink, but then I just up my consumption to cancel it out...
I'm going to be honest... that was the answer I wanted to hear. I'm actually hoping to up production beyond my drinking capacity, but not sure how that will work. Just ordered myself a couple of mini kegs of Hobgoblin to fill the gap and give me something to store half of my next batch in :D

I'm much the same, 2 weeks fermenting, if done it gets a week cold crashed in my brew fridge (the timing is more a concession to being on the rig for 3 weeks than anything else), bottled then back in the warm fridge for 2 weeks carbonating. I also have a couple of PET bottles for checking progress. Then it's into the beer cupboard which sits at 8 - 10c during the cold months, then low - mid teens the rest of the year, think it hit 18c during the brief Scottish "heat wave" last year. If I didn't have the cupboard it'd just sit at room temp til I drank it, probably with a brief chill in the fridge. I'll try a bottle as soon as I think it's carbonated, if it's good then a few get drunk over a couple of nights then I go offshore again so the rest gets a proper time to mature. I'm not one for hoppy beers so my beer are always a bit better once I'm home again.

I'm not one for hoppy beers so my beer are always a bit better once I'm home again.
I like the dark, sweet and nutty brews too. Unfortunately I just can't seem to keep em long enough to mature. I am on a poor Scottish Heavy right now that has been mellowing out in the bottle over the last 2 and a half weeks. I don't know if it's getting better or if my tolerance is just increasing ;) That might even start to taste nice in a couple more weeks.

I haven’t brewed the same brew twice yet so for each one I’m always really keen to try them out. I usually last a week before popping one out of curiosity, then another week before trying another. If it’s good by then load up the fridge if not I’ll wait another week. As a bonus you get to taste the beer as it conditions and learn how it changes, which initial flavours are likely to drop off etc

Latest posts

Back