Does AG take less time to condition than kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markyuk

Reaction score
Newbie here - done a number of kits but none quite hitting the spot for me. I might just be being impatient (some only 2 weeks bottle conditioned, some nearing 2 months) or just have a dislike for kit twang. Admittedly at first I messed up and was 'conditioning' in same spot as I carbed/fermented so I doubt it was cool enough to properly condition.

I've seen a number of Youtube videos where people are drinking/reviewing brews as soon as they're carbed, particularly for AG. Does All Grain just take less time to condition? Or are they just partial to green beer?

This will vary according to beer style and personal taste. Something like a NEIPA you'd package, carbonate and drink, however something like an trad ale will improve with a bit of time.

There should be no difference between switching from kit to AG.

In my experience, kits take at least 4 weeks to become drinkable. That's 4 weeks from brew day. You will notice a big difference from week 3 to week 4. If you are making Cooper's kits, this is especially true. In truth, I haven't made a kit in a very long time so perhaps advancements have been made.

I can turn an AG beer around in less than 10 days, with my current set-up/approach. But some beers just take a bit longer. Really does depend on quite a few factors. But, for me, I would say AG beer has a faster turnaround time and if done right, is a far superior end product.

Basically:
Simple grain bill, hop forward - drink young.
Complex grain bill, malt forward - drink after conditioning

Latest posts

Back