Bottle pislsner not great?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justink

Reaction score
Made Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner (see here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23005

I put the majority in a corney and then managed to get 6 bottles filled with the remainder. This is my first go at bottling after some good results kegging.

The pilsner from the keg is really nice; easily as good as most similar continental type lagers you get in a pub. So I decided to crack open a bottle to compare.

Slight fizz when opening but it tasted yeasty. It was also a bit cloudy.

Now I tried to pour carefully but will admit that I failed miserably at it and did end up with some sediment in the glass. The beer was cloudy and tasted yeasty.

I bottled it with half teaspoon of sugar and left at room temp for 2 weeks and its been in the fridge ever since. Approx 6 weeks total.

Any idea what has caused this? I will open another one to compare tonight and be extra careful about pouring. I'm happy all was sterilised so guessing maybe I shouldn't be storing this in the fridge or I just wasn't careful enough in pouring. Should beer be stored at a cool temp and then chilled if required - maybe me storing in the fridge all the time hasn't helped?

There was a recent thread about conditioning temperatures. I will try and find it but i think it said that beer was best conditioned between 8-12 degrees was best.

Thanks all.

I'll leave the remaining 5 bottles for a while longer and try it again. Certainly didn't taste 'off' just nothing like what I'm drinking from the keg!

I left the bottles at room temp for 2 weeks so should be fine for conditioning. Been in fridge ever since.

alanywiseman said:
Here it is viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24283

Cheers for that, I'll take a look :thumb:

Did you force carbonate your corney? because if you did then that is one major difference between the two, for a start they won't be carbonated to the same level and also the intrduction of sugar means that the yeast will have been active again. Also from your bottle you must have disturbed the yeast hence the yeast taste, out of the corny any yeast will be right at the bottom so no yeast in the glass.

graysalchemy said:
Did you force carbonate your corney?

Yes I did. Left it for approx 5 weeks and the pilsner is great, crisp and clear. Its quite possibly I did disturb the yeast in the bottle...I'll admit I wasn't as careful as I should have been when puring.... :whistle:

I think, as a test, I'll crack open another one, very carefully, and try that. The remaining 4 I will remove from the fridge and let them rest in a cool place for another month and see what happens......

IIRC, as well as the additional time the corny has had to condition ( not fermenting again to carbonate ) beer also conditions faster / better in bulk :hmm:

Latest posts

Back