Bottle priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJAughton

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been doing OK priming my bottles with sugar or drops getting a good result matching the brew style.

Although sediment isn't massive it's still a neusence... I'd like to find a way to reduce or remove it for a crystal clear fizzed lager or cider.

I've seen some people injecting C02 using canister into bottle then bottling

Does this work? I have a sodastream but that is fizzing up water and directly into the water ..

Has anyone used this method?

Any tips?

I think the only way to force carbonate is 'in bulk' in something like a corny keg. Then transfer from there using a counter pressure filler. I'd be interested in the results if you are going to try to soda stream some.

The clearer/brighter the beer is when you bottle, the less sediment you'll get (although it will typically take longer to carbonate).

I think the only way to force carbonate is 'in bulk' in something like a corny keg. Then transfer from there using a counter pressure filler. I'd be interested in the results if you are going to try to soda stream some.

The clearer/brighter the beer is when you bottle, the less sediment you'll get (although it will typically take longer to carbonate).
It's a curious method using soda stream but seen someone doing it on YouTube... I've got the stuff so might try a couple bottles on next batch.

I'm thinking, a blast of C02 might purge the bottle of oxygen which eoukd be very helpful but you'd have to then make sure you don't over prime the bottle..

Trial and error I think

Filtering or fining, then re-seeding the beer with a much smaller quantity of a dedicated bottling yeast would be something to consider.

What yeasts do you generally ferment with?

Last edited:
Filtering or fining, then re-seeding the beer with a much smaller quantity of a dedicated bottling yeast would be something to consider.

I'm new the this so far I've used kits but got rid of the premium yeast and gone eith munyons range

Planning another 2 types lager with muntons M54 califotnian.

I use Youngs clear it Finings 24hrs before bottling, what eould be better ?

So far all my brews I've rwcked off fermenter into another bucket thrn added finnings, is there any sense in this or should I add finnings after fermentation then rack off for bottling?

I don't rack (I can't remember doing it ever) and not essential. The instructions for finings tend to say at least 24 hours so maybe leave it two days so its really clear.

When I cold land (I don't crash any more, I let it cool relatively slowly) I always have a plan to keg/bottle two or three days after its reached the target temp but there's always something that means I have to leave it longer than that, sometimes a week or so. Always nice and clear then.

I don't rack (I can't remember doing it ever) and not essential. The instructions for finings tend to say at least 24 hours so maybe leave it two days so its really clear.

When I cold land (I don't crash any more, I let it cool relatively slowly) I always have a plan to keg/bottle two or three days after its reached the target temp but there's always something that means I have to leave it longer than that, sometimes a week or so. Always nice and clear then.
Thanks Twostage

I've always felt rocking to not be essential and risks oxygenating my brew..

I think I'll use the fining in the fermenter once primary is finished and as you suggest leave it a while longer before bottling.

Latest posts

Back