Bottles from the Pub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyjay84

Reaction score
I am thinking about going down to my local pub and asking them to save me a load of bottles - for obvious purposes. :party:

How many of you guys have tried this and had a good result out of it??

I only ask as my local is VERY busy, due to a recent refurb, (as such likely to have a tonne of bottles available) but is is now a modern 'gastro-pub' and so I feel like they might frown/put their nose up :nono: when asked. At the end of the day, theyre only going to tip them into the recycle bin right?

I realise that its totally a case of 'dont ask dont get' but i was wondering what experiences people have had of this?

Thanks! :thumb:

There has been loads of threads on this recently - have a search.

They may not keep them to one side for you but they may be willing to let you raid their bottle bin.

I would pop in and ask, as you say if you don't ask you don't get.

Another forum member (can't remember who now) had a genius idea to put a box next to a recycling bank with a sign saying something to the effect of "Home brewer needs brown bottles, please place in here". You can then go and collect a few days later, and easily dipose of the ones you don't want. May be woth a try :thumb:

I got a load of Magners bottles from my local pub a couple of years ago, they put them to one side for me in a cardboard box. Just watch out for fag butts in the bottles, it doesn't make your beer taste nice :sick:

They also had a clear out recently and saved 6 beer crates for me with the promise of any more that they find :party:

Fag butts... nice. Might a nice 'smokey' flavour to a brew, no? :hmm:

I was thinking I'd shove a load in the dishwasher initially to give them a clean out. Then sterilise before bottling anyways.

pubs like to give the bottles away as it gives them more room as you said just ask...
i asked and every pub said yes but i only had 2 pubs put them to one side for me ...
but in the end as i got impationt i contacted bath ales bottling plant ...

and bought bottles direct from them ...
at 15p each .. :thumb: .
never been used but you still need to sanitise them ... :thumb: .

ps i get my caps there aswell very cheap last time i had 500 for a pound.... :D

i hope this helps ...

regards mick... :hat: .

mick may said:
pubs like to give the bottles away as it gives them more room as you said just ask...
i asked and every pub said yes but i only had 2 pubs put them to one side for me ...

i hope this helps ...

wow. might have to give bath ales a shout!

going to swing by my local tonight and ask... might have to have a sneaky look if the have any new guests on tap too :drink:

A few years ago, I asked a pub to save me some.1 litre spirit bottles and they very kindly did. I think a lot of pubs will be willing to give you empty bottles if you ask them nicely.

mikeyjay84 said:
mick may said:

i hope this helps ...

wow. might have to give bath ales a shout!

going to swing by my local tonight and ask... might have to have a sneaky look if the have any new guests on tap too :drink:

they have plants all over the place i go to the one at warmley/ bristol...

i went there today to get some more caps .. :thumb: .

001-21_zps22e833c5.jpg

002-23_zpsb7710dd3.jpg

003-79_zps4966f61b.jpg

but dont forget.....
its the bottling plant you need not the brewery.... :nono:

My local bar put their bottles aside for me for about 5 weeks during the spring, and I got about 120 bottles, which was enough at the time. Stocks started running low, and I was going to ask them to do it again, but a bunch of mates hired a villa up the road for a week and kept their empties for me (just shy of 100 bottles - I set them a goal).

Whilst they were visiting we went to a pizzeria, and I naturally asked if I could take the empties home with me. The waitress reckoned that they could provide me with 100 bottles a night - I just need to ask.

Many of the beers around here use the same bottles, just with different labels.

So in my experience, yes, people will gladly provide you with their empties. They're more likely to put them aside for you if they know that they won't pile up, I guess. I can't understand people buying bottles.

ETA: Oh, that was my first post on here. I thought I'd posted before but it seems that I've just been lurking. Anyway, hello everyone.

Latest posts

Back