Bottling clear beer from Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chor808

Reaction score
Hello All,

I hope this is the right spot to put this. I have a bitter that has been in the barrel for about 4 weeks and is very clear. The barrel is under pressure too, it is a plastic barrel.

I need to free it up and there is too much to drink in a couple of nights :nono:

Can I release the pressure, add some sugar to bottles and bottle it up? With the beer being clear and the sediment long since settled will there be enough yeasties ready to eat that sugar and carb up the beer.

Thanks!!

Just be aware that if the beer is carbonated ,contact with sugar could result in it volcanoing out the top of the bottle

Personally, I don't like "gassy" beer and I don't like cold beer, so all I would do is chill the keg and the bottles to as low as my fridge will go (1 degree) and then transfer the beer and cap the bottles as quickly as possible without adding any extra sugar.

There will be some residual carbonation in each bottle, it will manifest itself when the beer is warmed up and it will avoid the chances of creating over-carbonated beer. :thumb:

The safest way of venting pressure from a PB is to do it through the dispensing tap with the PB more or less on its side.
If you try to release the cap under pressure there is always a danger that you can lose control and it shoots off somewhere. That happened to someone on here if I remember correctly.

If you are going to do it a lot, rigging up some sort of "counter-pressure" device to the tap lets you bottle carbonated clear beer (no sediment).

If you want to get really snazzy there are these: http://www.pegas.lt/en/. I've got one ("Evolution") and it comes in very handy to transport beer in PET bottles around the house (ever tried carrying a full beer glass when walking with a pair or crutches!).

............... (ever tried carrying a full beer glass when walking with a pair or crutches!).

Looks to be a great bit of kit! :thumb:

"No!" to the above, but as a youth I once launched myself down a flight of stairs by leaving the arm-pit crutches in place on the top step as I started what I hoped was an ordinary descent! :doh: :doh:

Live and learn eh? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back