Bottling/kegging options.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toredan

Reaction score
Ok, not sure why I'm posting this but you guys are much more experienced than I am so might see a solution. I'm having an issue 'bottling' my beer. I manage to scrounge 50ish 500ml bottles a month but I'm brewing way more than that. Think half my issue lies in that I'm making 2 or 3 times the amount I'm drinking. Any beer I give away I usually give away with the instructions to return the bottles but like that ever happens!. Have looked at mini-kegs but only really consuming 5 pints a week max I think i'll be binning loads of beer using one of these. Looked at kegging in general but in a 2 bedroom flat I've got nowhere to store the keg and without pressure gauges I'd be unsure of co2 replacement (etc etc). Looked at buying some Cooper's plastic PETs but with the costs of AG 50 bottles would literally double my expenses per brew. Am I missing an obvious option? :) Not really got the time to go from pub to pub scrounging.

Also have seen places that'll charge me £37 got 100 clear 500ml bottles which I don't think is too bad, but then there is £25 shipping to my postcode so that's not really efficient. :(

I previously had exactly the same problem. I then started asking everyone I knew to keep bottles for me (with the promise of a few full ones in return) and now SWMBO is doing her nut about the amount of bottles I have.
Suggest you follow a similar route - Without the grief, I hope

Pubs, clubs and bank bottles are your best option, an hour or two trawling round and you would probably find enough, then another hour or two cleaning and de-labelling.

Pressure barrel, or king keg?

Also, if you get a party star tap, you can stretch the lifespan of a mini-keg to about a1 month or so.

Or maybe brew smaller batches!

Even trailing up and down the street on recycling day will yield you a good few. I noticed a mini-keg across the street when I got home last night, so I went over and knocked on to ask if I could have it. He said he had another one at his brother's house that he'd fetch for me when they'd drunk it. As my folks always taught me "shy bairns get nowt" :thumb:

Trawling the recycling bins up our street is how I got 40 odd PET bottles for cider :thumb:

I know two of our local binmen and asked them if they could save me any swing tops or mini kegs they come across, BUT, he said sorry he cannot as they can get sacked for removing waste.

Do a round of local bottle banks on a Saturday afternoon and you'll get loads, particularly if you'll take 330ml ones too.

Hmm interesting. Bottle banks eh? how do you get into em :P Or do you just wait and accost people for them as they arrive? :twisted:

I previously had exactly the same problem. I then started asking everyone I knew to keep bottles for me (with the promise of a few full ones in return) and now SWMBO is doing her nut about the amount of bottles I have.
Suggest you follow a similar route - Without the grief, I hope

I did a Facebook appeal offering one full bottles for 2 empties. Got over a 100 bottles and had to put an end to the appeal.

OP - Have you got an option to do smaller brews?

Ok then, so what bottles from pubs do you guys think are easiest to clean/worth cleaning? Had a chat with a LHBS today (ok, 40 minutes away so not local) and he said using bottles not designed for homebrew was dangerous... first I've heard of this, been using them for over a year now :)

Hmm interesting. Bottle banks eh? how do you get into em[emoji14]Or do you just wait and accost people for them as they arrive? :twisted:

On a weekend they're usually nearly full and you can reach in! ;) plus some designs are easier to reach into than others. Even just wait by them for a half hour or so and ask folks for the bottles before they put them in - most people are happy to oblige.

Buy spring water in the super market like 6 packs of 500ml. 99p in lidl (£9.90 for 60 bottles). Or better tesco everyday value spring water 17p for a 2 liter bottle (£2.55 for 30 liters - 60 x 500ml equivalent)

Back