Brew 3 - Youngs American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, time to report and if I were to describe her as a commercial beer I'd say right now we have Hoegaarden, which, after just 3 weeks in the primary is absolutely superb. Couldn't be happier! She is going to be a beast when she's had some time to relax over the next few months! Thanks DoctorMick, you were right, no wukkas!
:party:

After a week bottled and resting in the house , transferred the 45 bottles to the garage based beer loft, been there 4 days now and still looking cloudy. The temps obviously been fairly low recently ( between -2° and +7°) so don't know whether that's helping or hindering. I'm planning on leaving them at least another month before testing. Had to put a Muntons Connessieur IPA on last week to keep me from getting bored....:roll:

After a week bottled and resting in the house , transferred the 45 bottles to the garage based beer loft, been there 4 days now and still looking cloudy. The temps obviously been fairly low recently ( between -2° and +7°) so don't know whether that's helping or hindering. I'm planning on leaving them at least another month before testing. Had to put a Muntons Connessieur IPA on last week to keep me from getting bored....:roll:

Leave a couple in the warm,in the house somewhere and compare the difference in clarity and carbonation after 2-3 weeks.
BTW its a cracking pint,enjoy :hat:

Cheers pms67, should I just get it all back indoors? There's no heat in the garage at all, if keeping it warm will deliver the goods then I'd rather do what's best for the brew!;-)

Hmm quick question: I knocked my FV quite heavily prior to bottling. All the hops and stuff at the top has now dropped to the bottom so I've left it to settle. It will be four days with the hops added if I bottle tomorrow, is this all ok or will the fact that everything has dropped thru the brew and I've left it another day make it toooooo hoppy?

Cheers pms67, should I just get it all back indoors? There's no heat in the garage at all, if keeping it warm will deliver the goods then I'd rather do what's best for the brew!;-)

Nah,I wouldn't bother mate,its just an interesting comparison,not unless you see that the cold ones aren't clearing at all.
I used to be back and forth with while crates but got lazy and most of mine now "cold" condition :cheers:

Hmm quick question: I knocked my FV quite heavily prior to bottling. All the hops and stuff at the top has now dropped to the bottom so I've left it to settle. It will be four days with the hops added if I bottle tomorrow, is this all ok or will the fact that everything has dropped thru the brew and I've left it another day make it toooooo hoppy?

I think you'll be fine, the bigger concern would be if you introduced oxygen in to the brew when you knocked it. As with all brewing accidents tho, there isn't much you can do about it now so bottle it, say a little prayer and I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Lid was on so I can't see the air changing that much. Will bottle tomoro and see how it goes

All bottled up, fg of 1013 so an abv of about 5.2% depending on what formula you use of course. time will tell! Smells nice tho!

Could resist no longer guys! Popped one. It's still cloudy but tastes good, v. strong, defo got the hoegaarden element to it! So that's 3 weeks in the bottle, in another 3, it'll be epic, I'm sure!

Could resist no longer guys! Popped one. It's still cloudy but tastes good, v. strong, defo got the hoegaarden element to it! So that's 3 weeks in the bottle, in another 3, it'll be epic, I'm sure!

Mine stayed relatively cloudy but was fine. Definitely not a session beer! My favourite kit so far, just bottled my Old Peculier clone and put on a Munton's American IPA. This was my first two can kit so I'm interested in the comparison between this and Young's American IPA however having completed my first extract I'm going to continue with those it's just that I had the Munton's lying around.

Currently sat with a glass of Beavertown Neck Ale, great beer as are all of Beavertown's so I'd like to see some clones of those beers.

This is currently in one of my FV's (been in about a week now.) No obvious action for at least 48 hours, then..... BOOM! I went into the room the following morning to find the lid buckled, the airlock blown seven ways to sunday and a mess all down the side of the FV and on the floor. Talk about a violent fermentation.......

This is currently in one of my FV's (been in about a week now.) No obvious action for at least 48 hours, then..... BOOM! I went into the room the following morning to find the lid buckled, the airlock blown seven ways to sunday and a mess all down the side of the FV and on the floor. Talk about a violent fermentation.......

My American IPA was the same, had to replace the airlock twice a day for over a week. I tried skimming the krausen but the bugger grew back within about 15 seconds.

I would certainly recommend to anyone starting this brew that they use a 32L FV to mitigate the yeast orgy that goes on in there once they get started!

Just reporting back after being busy for a month. All bottled up and conditioned at 5.2% and it tastes really nice. Very fruity tho, not sure if this is normal or caused by me having to leave the hops in for about 5 days (Youngs recommend about 2 I think). If I made one again I defo wouldn't leave the hops in so long, but it is a nice tasty beer!

Hmmm. I transfered my PV to the garage today to cold condition / clear. I took the obligatory half pint to check for carbonation and I have to say, I'm a bit concerned.
The colour is good, although it's obviously still cloudy, but my god, the hop taste is overpowering. When I say overpowering, I mean overpowering! I'm really hoping this mellows out with time in the barrel.....

Yeah mine was very hoppy too. Just drank two more bottles having not touched it for a few weeks and it tastes hoppy but I think less so than when I first drank it.

I'm just about to start this.

Recently done the Young's IPA, and thought it lacked body (still tasted great). I have some light spray malt waiting to be used and was wondering if using it in Young's APA would be a good idea. I've searched for a while and can't find anyone trying it. Fairly new to this game and don't want to make a rookie error.

Any thoughts anyone?

I'm just about to start this.

Recently done the Young's IPA, and thought it lacked body (still tasted great). I have some light spray malt waiting to be used and was wondering if using it in Young's APA would be a good idea. I've searched for a while and can't find anyone trying it. Fairly new to this game and don't want to make a rookie error.

Any thoughts anyone?

Yes,great name :hat: Mon the hoops (or hops)
Seriously though,can't do any harm,let us know how it turns out.

Back