Brew in a bag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

Reaction score
Hi all
My first post.
I was given a brew in a bag (Moonshine company) and haven't tried it yet.

I wondered how it works as there's no boiling mash, just add warm water and the sachet of Moonshine powder (whatever that is, yeast I imagine).

What I wondered is; how does it work, is there anything new in the mixture for the brewing process to take place?

Regards
Aki

It looks like its a half size kit beer in a purpose made bag so you don't need any equipment (ie fermenter). There is nothing special about it you used to be able to get something similar in boots (and it tasted terrible).
In a normal kit beer there is no boiling you just pour a can or 2 into a fermenter and top up with water and add yeast and sometimes sugar.
Brew in a bag normally refers to an all grain technique but in this case its nothing like it.

Hi Simon12

Very helpful, thank you so much.
Basically I’m now considering starting a small business posting out, ‘just add water/yeast’ brewing in a bag kit to ex-pats, I have a friend who could design and manufacture the bags for me.
But, I haven’t got much of a clue as exactly what I need to put in the bag to make it work.
In theory could I just buy a ready made mixture and fill the bags myself?

Thanks
Aki

Aki.

Theoretically easy but the regs/hs/hygiene/ disposal and going to be a burden.
Your going to need a "clean room" for repackaging material for human consumption and the list goes on and on.

Or find out who makes them, buy from them and save yourself a lot of pain.

Good luck. Aamcle

Hi Aamcle
Thank you for the response.
I think that's a good idea, I'll have to do a bit of digging around.

Many thanks

Hi Simon12
Ok i'll see what hurdles I come against and see if my ideas get me moving in the right direction and let you know how far I get. It may be a little while before I post, or if I hit a brick wall straight away I may post that I've failed next month!
Cheers

OK good luck. If it helps I imagine the bag contains mainly dried malt extract but I have no idea how they get the hop flavour into it unless theres liquid malt extract in it here is a bit of info on them http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3.html . A possible alternative approach is if you can design a bag you could use a standard beer kit in, I am guessing many of the manufacturers would be happy to supply there kits to you rebranded for you if you order enough but they are twice the size. Your biggest issue will be getting a bag that holds the pressure and getting exactly the correct amount of fermentables to pressure it the right amount. Also looking at the moonshine instructions all of the dead yeast and sludge will stay in the bag which is avoided ina ny normal kit or other technique I have no idea how they get round that. 1st you should try the one you have and check for any ingredients listed and when its finished take it apart for any clue how in works.

Interesting idea. I am an expat living in Italy and do miss a good pint of real English ale.

However, I recently bought a few kits on line from a supplier in Italy and they worked out cheaper than the UK. I'm just about to step into the All Grain world, via a BAIB. Although the ingredients are easily available in Italy (albeit more expensive), I was driving to and from the UK recently so packed the car full of grain and hops.

So my point is, there are suppliers out there, certainly in Italy so assume the rest of Europe will be the same??

Good luck

Simon12
Thanks for the advice and information, I'll make the one I have and then take it to pieces.

Cornish Knocker
I would have thought you could get an English ale in Italy, somewhere?
Yes I was thinking that this is so straight forward, it wouldn't be for someone serious about beer making, rather for the convenience. Though that would reflect in the taste.

Cheers

Cornish Knocker
I would have thought you could get an English ale in Italy, somewhere?
Yes I was thinking that this is so straight forward, it wouldn't be for someone serious about beer making, rather for the convenience. Though that would reflect in the taste.

Cheers

It is possible at times to get some English beer, but paying about £5 for a 500ml bottle of London Pride badly affects the taste, especially when a 660ml bottle of Peroni is only 60p. Hence why I make my own.

Cornish Knocker
Well when you put it like that it I don't blame you for brewing it yourself.
I go to Japan fairly regularly, the beer in Japan has cost me £6-£9 a pint and that's not imported.
It's all tasty pretty stuff and mostly 5%.
They also have beer flavoured drinks!
I think the idea is, it looks like beer and tastes like beer but becasue it isn't brewed but flavoured (it has alcohol added to it).
It's probably cheaper to produce or there's less tax on it.

Regards

While most parts to create such a thing is cheap, you need to know some figures first. How much is the homebrew industry worth? How many people in the UK brew? What about expats? How much is it going to cost to post a kit to Italy, Hungry, Far East?

If you visit Japan often it would be a much better idea to sell the products to shops. If I were a homebrew expat I'd love to see a real British ale kit with added British malt & hops. You might not make millions but western stuff like this in Japan could be good.

Sorry to cast this upon you but I manufacture dry pet food and it took a LONG time on the R&D side before I really was confident it was viable.

EDIT: Out of interest I found that brewing in Japan over 1% is not legal. How crazy!!

Hi Brew2Day
I think Japan has many restrictions, although that would be a handy market it is a very difficult country to get a business started.
I do appreciate your advice from your own business stand point.
I will have to think a bit about this before I start anything major.

Cheers

Back