Brew Mistake - Dump it or Keep it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojogador13

Reaction score
Hi,

I´m a recent addition to the beer brewing world and with one successful batch, I think i ruined the second one.

First and foremost I use home brew kits like Cooper.
The first went great, the second was a Woodfordes Wherry Beer Kit, and the big difference is "No Fermenting Sugar Needed".

By now as you can imagine, I added the 1 kg Fermenting sugar to the batch.
I would like to know, if I should just throw the batch in the gutter or let it brew and see how it goes?

Any advice is well received.

Thanks in Advance,
Frederico

Itll be fine, albeit a bit thin and a bit strong! It may not be as good as you hope it will be, but it'll certainly be a palatable pint :thumb:

Whoops :doh:

What did that put the OG up to, compared to what it should have been ?

Not brewed kits for years, but I've been distracted whilst putting in the malt and added an extra kilo here or there :whistle: - not the beer you were trying to make - but its beer :thumb: Just be prepared to keep it a bit longer than planned... it will take time

1st Don't dump it, It will be fine. Just quite strong, about 7-8% rather than 4-5%.
Leave it to ferment out and then taste it, it should be fine.

It's the most important rule of brewing (well joint important with the sanitation one):

Nothing is undrinkable until it has been stored for ages (to see if it matures) and you can't actually sit there and enjoy a glass.

I had a crazy beer that I put roasted oats in. To begin with it was weird and had twangs all over the place, 8 months later it was ok then a year later it was lovely and went straight down the hatch!

It will be obviously a bit stronger and may appear to be not as bitter as intended as the hop balance will have been upset a little by the increase in alcohol, but it should be very drinkable and you will probably really enjoy it. :thumb:

Expect it will need plenty of time to mature - give it at least a month then try a sample, then if its still rough give it another 2-4 weeks and try again...
I've brewed several Wherrys with 500g extra beer enhancer and that works out very nice.
Good luck!

graysalchemy said:
It will be obviously a bit stronger and may appear to be not as bitter as intended as the hop balance will have been upset a little by the increase in alcohol, but it should be very drinkable and you will probably really enjoy it. :thumb:

I would think it'd be more bitter if anything with all that sugar fermenting dry! Barley wine :lol:

Maybe get a few hops to dry hop it, to make up for the reduction in flavour?

Hi,

Just to give you all a status update on the batch.

Yesterday it made 14 days in the FV bucket, gravity of 1016, I had measured it at day 10 and it was 1020. Original gravity of 1060.
Just so you know its fermentation in a cellar at a stable temperature 23 degrees.

Today I'll do it again and see if it's still fermenting.

Nonetheless I´ve tried it and although you still feel a small sweet aftertaste you definitely feel the bitter, I´m glad to says it looks like and tastes like beer even if not the original intended one.

I would like to hear some opinions on what to do next. Many questions and possibilities are running in my mind like is the FG still to high? should I bottle it if the FG stabilizes? or should I go for 2 a fermentation? Should I try somehow reduce the sweet aftertaste?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for the Keep It advice's.
Frederico C.

keep it, bottle it, forget about it.

Then in a month or 2 crack one open and find the most wonderful beer youve ever made.

Optimism is best :)

I made a "Desperado" Lager clone (lager with tequila) and it was vile!!! I could not even stand the smell.

I still bottled it and left it out of site.
2 months later.... a very nice drink, although its unusual and nothing like Desperados.

Its worth waiting and if in a few months it is ****, then bin it and try again :)

:drunk:

robbie1710 said:
Its worth waiting and if in a few months it is ****, then bin it and try again :)

:drunk:

You mean bin all but one and try again. Just to see if it gets any better :D

Antony said:
You mean bin all but one and try again. Just to see if it gets any better

No dont do that!!! if it then turns out to be good then you will be gutted you threw the rest of it away :doh:
:D

Keep it and see what happens let it stabilies and bootle or keg it. And be sure and let me know how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back