Brewday - wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will have some flavour and character from the wheat, I'm sure, as you get with steeping grains. It's a great experiment and I reckon the chances of it turning out well are very good. I'm surprised you got zero sugars from the wheat, but I wasn't expecting your overall efficiency to be great, maybe 60%.

3kg MO and 1kg of wheat.

I crushed the wheat of course - not fine, but coursely. I didn't want goo clogging up the filter if I made flour. In fact it ran out very well when I opened the tap.

3kg of MO according to Brewer's Friend and my own past experience would produce wort at about 1032 which is exactly what I got. Strange. Time will tell.

I'll whisk it and pitch in a packet of US05 when it is cool enough.

3kg MO and 1kg of wheat.

I crushed the wheat of course - not fine, but coursely. I didn't want goo clogging up the filter if I made flour. In fact it ran out very well when I opened the tap.

3kg of MO according to Brewer's Friend and my own past experience would produce wort at about 1032 which is exactly what I got. Strange. Time will tell.

I'll whisk it and pitch in a packet of US05 when it is cool enough.

I'm fermenting this in the shed at the bottom of my garden because it has been quite warm since I started it. The temperature in the shed last night dropped to 15C and it gets up to about 20C in the day. I have the FV inside a sleeping bag which I have lowered over the top of it and this morning the FV strip thermometer was reading 19C and it has not risen above 20C during the day yesterday. This seems to be working. There is a nice moderate krausen and a lovely smell creeping out from under the lid. It seems to be fermenting well albeit at a lower temperature than my earlier brews.

Disappointed with this one, anyone care to comment on what went wrong?

The mash, the boil, the efficiency all went really well. Boiled in coriander seeds and curaçao orange peel.
Fermented using Belgian wheat yeast for circa 9 days and fermentation was checked to confirm stop. OG 1044 FG 1008. Happy with that. The taste from the test tube was superb, could really taste the wheat flavours with the coriander and orange coming through; I had high hopes.

Into a secondary for two weeks, and then bottle and conditioned for 2 weeks. Cracked one open tonight; first thing was that it had cleared right out so I gave it a little shake to get things around and it clouded back up, cracked it, great hiss, and off I poured.

Poured well with a 2 finger head which dissapeared after about a minute to nothing.

Tasted and it just tastes like a lager to be honest? No real wheat beer taste, and I tried to pick it all up, but nothing of note. Carbonation was good but the taste? Nope.

Try another to make sure.

I am a little disappointed with the one I made.

Loads of Banana and bubblegum in the first few bottles but nothing since.

The recipe in the first post is very similar to the wheat beer I have brewed, it's almost identical in taste to the own brand wheat beer sold in Co op. I really like it.
Funnily enough, mine tasted great right out of the fermenter, then after a couple weeks in the bottle it tasted very different, and not for the better!
Overly bitter from the orange peel and not a lot else.
I let it condition for another week and it had transformed! Really very nice and drinkable, we finished 40 odd bottles in a fortnight! (Two of us)
The only difference would be I used malted wheat not raw, and the wlp400.
Stick with it, I reckon it'll come good.
Funny things happen in the bottle!

Just started drinking my first unmalted wheat beer. It is only 25% unmalted wheat and I didn't get a great OG. It's quite weak at 3.5%, but quite drinkable. I have another in the FV made with malted wheat in the same proportion - basically 1kg wheat, 3kg MO. The next one is much darker and much stronger. Don't know what went on with the first one, but hey ho - it tastes ok.

20150824_130305.jpg

Just started drinking my first unmalted wheat beer. It is only 25% unmalted wheat and I didn't get a great OG. It's quite weak at 3.5%, but quite drinkable. I have another in the FV made with malted wheat in the same proportion - basically 1kg wheat, 3kg MO. The next one is much darker and much stronger. Don't know what went on with the first one, but hey ho - it tastes ok.

20150824_130305.jpg

stick in 1-1.5kg DWME instead of the wheat grain it will still be mostly grain and you'll have neatly sidestepped low efficiency from wheat grain. :cool:

Found a few bottles of this today!! Didn't realise I had any left so well done me for deciding to clean the brewery.

Tastes fantastic!
cf9a35ff2b3497ebf399dbae8db6a384.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back