Brewing software and recipie flavours - question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhound

Reaction score
I've started brewing with grain and have found that it's much better than using spraymalt (I can hear you all saying I told you so..... :-) ) So after about 5 brews I want to start creating a beer that I really want, there's lot's I like! I've looked at brewing software, brewmate, beersmith , Qbrew etc. They all give some figures to tell you colour and bitterness etc, but not what the taste will be or am I missing something? For instance I want a malty fruity taste but this doesn't seem obvious with any software. Any advice welcome, thanks :cheers:

Taste isn't just derived from the ingredients, 70% of a beers flavour comes from the yeast or more specifically how it ferments which can also be affected by many environmental conditions. This is why it is difficult in the homebrew environment to get consistent results with the same recipe.

:thumb:

You have to learn what kind of beer you will get from different ingredient mixes by making beer. One way to get started is to think of a beer you like and look for a recipe online for that beer. You won't make a beer that tastes the same, but it should be in the right area, and you will learn each time you make a brew. Another method is to make simple beers with one or two malts and one hop, and try a different yeast each time, and you will learn what those ingredients taste like.

Thanks all for your quick replies, I had a feeling that there wasn't any software for this. clibit, that sounds like a good logical thing to do I'll give it a go..... brewing and drinking lol :drink:

Cheers
all

Agree with both greys and clibit. There is now software to to describe flavour. I suggest you keep your first 10 beers to a basic recipe and change the yeast every brew.

Back