Brewing with Whole Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrushOnCraft

Reaction score
I have some Chinook whole hops that I'm going to use to brew a West Coast.

I have a few questions:
  • How much extra whole hops should I use instead of pellet hops, eg for every100g of pellets, how many grams of whole hops in the boil, whirlpool, dry hop?
  • For 100g whole hops in the boil how much extra water would should I use?
  • Is there any benefit in squeezing the hops at the end of the boil?
  • Anything else I need to know?
Thanks

This article sums up the difference between the two pretty well. The main takeaway, though, is this..

“Both the surface area and alpha acid availability [in pellets] translate to a 10 to 15 percent increase in utilization over whole hops. Though, technically this increase is not high enough for a brewer to change the hop amount in a recipe when going between the two forms”.

I don’t see any benefit to squeezing the hops after the boil. Yes, you’re gonna loose a bit of wort to them but not enough to be worried about.

One other thing you might want to consider is the alpha rating of the hops. If you’re following a recipe that uses hops with a different alpha rating to the ones you’ve got you can use This calculator to find the right amount to use.

Back