Brewmonk Mashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and have purchased a brew monk.

When allowing the temp to drop to 65C to start mashing, should I leave the grains in the machine during this time, or only add once the recipe temp (65C) has been reached?

You set the mash temp and let it get to your mash temp(you can also set it to reach a slightly higher temp lets say 5c more as this will drop as you add the grain which is at room temp 20c) then add your grain.
Once stirred in well you can re-circulate during the mash with the pump and arm supplied but set the flow rate so that it maintains the wort and it does not overflow.
I would watch one or 2 Youtube vids if it is your first time, there are many that show people using the BrewMonk or Klarstein and Angelbrew as it is also badged as but the same machin
Ps when setting the higher temp/Strike temp which is usually 5c higher set it to reach it for 1 minute then set your mash cycle at the mash temp for the appropriate mash time

I am new to brewing and have purchased a brew monk.

When allowing the temp to drop to 65C to start mashing, should I leave the grains in the machine during this time, or only add once the recipe temp (65C) has been reached?
Hi Jen, think you are in my brew club.
Royal County?

Jen. There is no normal. It does not matter.

I mash in at 20c @19.00 the temp increases to 50c.and then 65c during the early hours of the morning.
"Mash" is complete @07.00 ready for me to boil with my first cuppa on my hand.

Tbh. A lot of people used to step mash. A process using several 'rests' at various temps on the way up. Five steps was not uncommon. Don't worry about it (at all)

With these brewing systems there is no need to worry about strike temperatures etc, you have options to manually set temps or programme in for the whole brew etc. I also have a brewmonk and have had other brands of the same unit.

Back