Brewzilla Gen 4 - Struggling to get to boil point

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Burnley

Regular.
Reaction score
As the title says, it's my first brew with it and I've been trying to get the thing to 100 C for about an hour. I don't have the jacket which I figure I obviously now need, but am I doing something wrong ? Anybody else had a similar problem ?

I've wrapped it in 2 fleece blankets and I've gone from being stuck at 94 c to slowly rising and I'm now at 96.5 c

Thanks

That seems strange because you should not need blankets or jackets for a machine to get to boiling point. Generally the insulation jacket is there for during the mash process to save heat escaping and keep it at an even temp not to get it up to boiling point. I have never used a brewzilla but something is wrong if the unit can not reach boiling point under its own steam.

@Libigage had the same problem - Brewzilla boil off rate

Received my brewzilla last week, haven't done a brew yet but I did a test run. Started with 18 litres, took 33 minutes to get to 68 °C, with lid and pump on.
Added 12 litres and put it up to 100°c. Pump on and lid on. It never hit 100°c only 99°c but had a nice boil at 45 minutes then I turned the 500 watt element off. Boiled for 60 minutes and then tested volume left. I was left with 25.66 litres, so with grain absorbtion what do you think I will be left with. I calibrated my brewzilla and it was pretty much spot on until I got to the top.

As the title says, it's my first brew with it and I've been trying to get the thing to 100 C for about an hour. I don't have the jacket which I figure I obviously now need, but am I doing something wrong ? Anybody else had a similar problem ?

I've wrapped it in 2 fleece blankets and I've gone from being stuck at 94 c to slowly rising and I'm now at 96.5 c

Thanks
Can you set the temp higher than 100deg or is that as high as it will go?

Thanks for all the replies, after i wrapped it in the second fleece it did manage to get to 100deg. Maybe I should have stated I brew in an unheated shed, but I was surprised it struggled to get to a boil in the summer, I obviously need to buy the jacket.

Yes I can set the temp higher, I had already noted that problem before brew day and i set it to 105deg.

Thanks for all the replies, after i wrapped it in the second fleece it did manage to get to 100deg. Maybe I should have stated I brew in an unheated shed, but I was surprised it struggled to get to a boil in the summer, I obviously need to buy the jacket.

Yes I can set the temp higher, I had already noted that problem before brew day and i set it to 105deg.
So even when its set at 105 deg it still wont boil ? Also a much cheaper way to insulate your pot is to buy a yoga mat and simply cut it to size. I got a 15mm thich one for £7 delivered for my boiler last year and it works brilliant as closed cell foam is a perfect insulator.

So even when its set at 105 deg it still wont boil ? Also a much cheaper way to insulate your pot is to buy a yoga mat and simply cut it to size. I got a 15mm thich one for £7 delivered for my boiler last year and it works brilliant as closed cell foam is a perfect insulator.
Well yes, it did eventually reach boiling point but only when it was wrapped up.

Thanks for the yoga mat tip, I shall look into that, how did you join the seem ?

Snug as a bug in a rug. also used the off cuts to build a wee hat for the lid.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_121018.jpg
    IMG_20230727_121018.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
I think there is something not right it should still get to boiling even in a shed and without insulation. I would contacting the supplier unless something is being missed in the settings

I think there is something not right it should still get to boiling even in a shed and without insulation. I would contacting the supplier unless something is being missed in the settings

I agree i cannot remember any members saying they cannot get to 100C other than in the thread i linked to.

Latest posts

Back