British Base Grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maris Otter is well known and what I use when making an ESB (I use Crisp). But I also see several grains by Fawcett, including MO (which is preferred?), Pearl, Optic, and Halcyon. Are these special to anything? Why choose these?

Since there has been no responses on this UK forum I figured it couldn't hurt to try the American forum I'm a member of, and was given a link to a cool test:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/English-Base-malt-comparison.html

I have to admit, especially with so many views, that no one has said anything. I figured this forum would be by far the best resource for British grains, and so I'm quite shocked.

I buy Maris Otter. I don't have any technical expertese - it was just recommended by others on the forum, readily available and cheap. It has worked well for me as a pale malt. I get good efficiency with pretty basic equipment.

I think because Marris Otter is so prevalent here most people don't bother with anything else unless they're making something extra special. I dont really bother with anything other than MO and occasionally mild ale malt

I've used a few versions(?) of M/O. I managed to pick up a sack of Crisp of my local micro brewery and I've never had such fast and consistent run-offs. I can only guess that the different versions are simply the supplier, miller etc.

Dave

I buy my ingredients from MoreBeer, and they only sell the British grains I mentioned. None of them seem specific for milds, which was my question in another thread. Of these would any of them be more ideal for a mild? How about for a northern brown, IPA, or barleywine?

I buy my ingredients from MoreBeer, and they only sell the British grains I mentioned. None of them seem specific for milds, which was my question in another thread. Of these would any of them be more ideal for a mild? How about for a northern brown, IPA, or barleywine?

The difference between various strains of barley are probably of more importance to the people growing them in terms of yield and disease resistance than the difference between various iterations of malt derived from them are to the home brewer. Seasonal variation and storage conditions probably make more difference than the variety.

British malt is sold as Pale, Mild (base malts) Amber, Light Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Black (Roast malts). Light, medium & dark crystal malts. The qualities of these malts are variable between maltsters and variable from season to season.

That site is offering varieties such as "Pearl", "Halcyon" "Maris Otter" & "Golden Promise" but there's no information on how they've been kilned. I assume they're all Pale malts, so any of them could be used for any of the beers you're asking about. You could also use the Irish ale malt for Milds and Browns.

If you're asking us what we would use, I think most of us would use Maris Otter and nothing else but that is a guess.

If you asked which I would use, I'd say the cheapest.

Maris Otter is well known and what I use when making an ESB (I use Crisp). But I also see several grains by Fawcett, including MO (which is preferred?), Pearl, Optic, and Halcyon. Are these special to anything? Why choose these?

my first bulk bag was crisp..

in recent months i have used Minch.albeit an Irish grain .bought some a good price and went back for more..

while i cant directly compare it to MO in a recipe as i have yet to brew the same beer twice

i use brewsmith and just use MO profile as base

have made targets last few brews ..

so will use it again

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/products_new.html

Since there has been no responses on this UK forum I figured it couldn't hurt to try the American forum I'm a member of, and was given a link to a cool test:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/English-Base-malt-comparison.html

I have to admit, especially with so many views, that no one has said anything. I figured this forum would be by far the best resource for British grains, and so I'm quite shocked.

Sorry you are shocked with the lack of response, hopefully we can put this right. Check out the link above - Bestmalz have pretty much every grain for every type of beer you could hope to brew. Even if this company can't deliver, at least it should give you an idea of which malt delivers what you might be looking for...

I've seen a mild recipe using Halcyon before but none of the others you mention. Most recipes just state pale malt, which is usually MO in the UK.

I have used Golden Promise before as a base malt in a bitter and was very happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back