Brupaks Almondbury old

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say I wasn't expecting much more than average with this kit, as my last attempt at a Brupaks kit resulted in the infamous 1020 stuck brew, but thought I'd give it a go having seen a few favourable reviews. First nice surprise was a bag of hop pellets in addition to the 2 cans. I made it up as per the instructions but slightly short (21L), also added a teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient to help with the miserly yeast packet that can with it. OG was 1042, not particularly high for something reputed to be an Old Ale. Was a bit concerned after 5 days when the airlock stopped bubbling (mid-winter so the house is cold) but thought I'd leave it, almost fell off my chair when I stuck the hydrometer in after 16 days and it was 1009. Bottled the lot as both my pressure barrels are currently playing up.

Just had my first bottle, it's still fairly young and not completely cleared, but wow! A perfect winter ale, not too strong but bags of flavour and the hops are coming through nicely. To give some perspective, this is brew no.45 for me and I mainly do Extract now, last few kits have been a bit disappointing but this is up there with the best of the 2 can kits IMHO. We'll see how it matures but at the moment, it's a winner in my book. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back