Building a healthy homebrew stash.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hardest job is trying to keep my filthy hands off my beers at the moment. I’m trying to shed 2 stone which I’ve gained over the past 3 years. A quarter of it gone so far since Christmas and back running. I am spending my time building up a summer stash. I have the following ready so far which I am trying to keep until May.
10 bottles of Homebrew Company Full Extract Pamela Anderson Ale
35 bottles of Homebrew Company Full Extract American Pale Ale
40 bottles of Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA
39 bottles of Homebrew Company Full Extract Blonde Ale

This weekend I’ll be sticking on a Mangrove Jacks Elderflower and Lime Cider and then followed by a Wheat Beer.

That should be a lovely selection of beers to enjoy over the summer months.

Do any of you build up stashes? I will hopefully have about 200 pints ready. It’s lovely to have a large collection of different beers, but a pain trying to stay away from them. 😀

I have a few in my shed...

1675985614739.png

I weight myself every day and if I approach 12 stone 10lbs go into cycling more and eating drinking less mode. Usually I'm 12stone 7 or 8

Problem for me is my bike is stored close to my stash :oops:

P.s. It#s great to have 5 or 7 of your own brews to choose from for a sesh. I've never been able to complete the board though wink...

View attachment 81750

I weight myself every day and if I approach 12 stone 10lbs go into cycling more and eating drinking less mode. Usually I'm 12stone 7 or 8

P.s. It#s great to have 5 or 7 of your own brews to choose from for a sesh. I've never been able to complete the board though wink...
Wow that is an impressive stash. I have about 230 x 500ml bottles. I might be able to get another brew on before then if I consume a few commercial craft beers and keep the bottles.

Hardest job is trying to keep my filthy hands off my beers at the moment. I’m trying to shed 2 stone which I’ve gained over the past 3 years. A quarter of it gone so far since Christmas and back running. I am spending my time building up a summer stash. I have the following ready so far which I am trying to keep until May.

This weekend I’ll be sticking on a Mangrove Jacks Elderflower and Lime Cider and then followed by a Wheat Beer.

Do any of you build up stashes? I will hopefully have about 200 pints ready. It’s lovely to have a large collection of different beers, but a pain trying to stay away from them. 😀
I've made the Mangrove jacks Elderflower and lime cider.

Didn't like it, manky bit of dry elderflower, too limey and too sweet. Didn't even add all of the sweetener well less than half.

If I was going to make it again I'd wait till the elderflowers were on a tree ( which will be a couple of months for you in the UK) and use that. No sweetener addition and taste it once fermented and then sweeten.
In fact I'd rather just have elderflower cider and no added lime.

But go for it if you like it.

Being winter, I like to build up my lager stocks for the summer and as they literally take months to be ready, it's not difficult to build up a stash running into the hundreds. Have recently discovered so-called "pseudo" lagers fermented with MJ M-54 and these have opened up a new dimension and tend to be used to test new hops. With that and a couple of stouts, and the strong beers that always get left behind because they're too strong, I think I can count at least 400 bottles.
I brew far more than I can drink because I just love brewing and experimenting so lots of it gets given away. I'm not interested in expensive cars, boats or horses and I've chased and caught my last wild woman so it's a hobby I can afford and everyone's a winner.

Last edited:
I've made the Mangrove jacks Elderflower and lime cider.

Didn't like it, manky bit of dry elderflower, too limey and too sweet. Didn't even add all of the sweetener well less than half.

If I was going to make it again I'd wait till the elderflowers were on a tree ( which will be a couple of months for you in the UK) and use that. No sweetener addition and taste it once fermented and then sweeten.
In fact I'd rather just have elderflower cider and no added lime.

But go for it if you like it.
Thanks for your feedback. I usually only do beers, 2 years ago I did the Festival Oaked Apple Cider Kit. I only added half the sweetener. It turned out great but was very strong at just over 8%. It caused me to lose the use of my legs on a couple of occasions but tasted great.
My wife loves sparkling water with elderflower cordial during the summer so I thought she might like this. I’ll add less than half the sweetener and see how it goes.

I must admit, I'm not great at building up stashes. When I start drinking a new brew (usually around 40 pints), I always think "I'd better get a new kit". I started my Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA last weekend and as I write this, my FV and other bits are sterilising before I start Beerworks' Golden Rocket Strong Pale Ale off this afternoon. I only drink at weekends (and don't touch my home brew if I'm away or out), so on this basis, I never run out of beer, but If I've got enough bottles, I think I'll try and get another brew started very soon to build up for the summer. I have still got a couple of bottles of St Peters Cream Stout (to which I added coffee), from more than a year ago, simply because I wanted to see how they matured. They are fantastic!

View attachment 81750

That's a great approach. 80 Kg is my target, but I need to shed a couple of stones to get there. I'll pour a beer while I figure out how I,m going to do it.

If you're really serious about losing weight, guys, I'd recommend the 5:2. I'm lucky - I have never had a weight problem, but if I need to lose a few pounds, I can do it very easily on the 5:2. You can choose the two days you diet to suit you, knowing that on the other five, you can eat what you want (though you'll find yourself eating more carefully because you don't want to undo the work you did on the two fasting days!).

I must admit, I'm not great at building up stashes. When I start drinking a new brew (usually around 40 pints), I always think "I'd better get a new kit". I started my Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA last weekend and as I write this, my FV and other bits are sterilising before I start Beerworks' Golden Rocket Strong Pale Ale off this afternoon. I only drink at weekends (and don't touch my home brew if I'm away or out), so on this basis, I never run out of beer, but If I've got enough bottles, I think I'll try and get another brew started very soon to build up for the summer. I have still got a couple of bottles of St Peters Cream Stout (to which I added coffee), from more than a year ago, simply because I wanted to see how they matured. They are fantastic!
I’ve just bottled the St Peter’s Cream Stout, I’ll have to hide a few bottles to make sure I can get a 12 month check - thanks for the pointer

If you're really serious about losing weight, guys, I'd recommend the 5:2. I'm lucky - I have never had a weight problem, but if I need to lose a few pounds, I can do it very easily on the 5:2. You can choose the two days you diet to suit you, knowing that on the other five, you can eat what you want (though you'll find yourself eating more carefully because you don't want to undo the work you did on the two fasting days!).
The 5/2 is a great system: take it easy on the working days and only let rip at the weekend. Works for me. :laugh8:

The 5/2 is a great system: take it easy on the working days and only let rip at the weekend. Works for me. :laugh8:
I lost 3 stone about 4 years ago. Just stuck to 3 meals a day with no snacking and no sweet treats. I also really loved running. Over Covid I started homebrewing and ran less often. So as a result 2 stone crept back on again. So I’m limiting myself to a couple of beers over the weekend, staying away from my own stash and I’m running more again. Just 1.5 stone to go now.

Bottles

1. Moonraker ✅✅White 8.5% 2️⃣ 28/10/21
  2. Belgium Triple ✅✅light blue 🟠 9.3% 3️⃣ 4/12/21
  3. Traquair House ✅✅silver 🟢 8.3% 3️⃣ 18/2/22
  4. Rye IPA ✅ ✅ blue 5.4% 9️⃣ 21/4/22
  5. Leffe Blonde ✅✅ gold 🟡 7.1% 3️⃣ 10/5/22
  6. Niagara Wheat beer ✅✅ red 6.2% 7️⃣ 7/6/22
  7. Andromeda ✅✅white 7.0% 2️⃣ 6/7/22
  8. AAA ✅✅ black 5.5% 3️⃣ 12/7/22
  9. Route Citra 6 Wheat ✅✅ silver 5.2% 2️⃣4️⃣ 27/7/22
  10. Belgian Kwak ✅✅red 7.6% 9️⃣ x33cl, 1️⃣5️⃣x50cl 17/8/22
  11. Munich Dunkel ✅✅purple 5.2% 1️⃣9️⃣ 31/8/22
  12. Tribute ✅✅ST’s 4.8% 1️⃣ 9/22
  13. NZIPA ✅✅ yellow 7.0% 8️⃣ 28/9/22
  14. Red X IPA ✅✅ silver 7.0% 1️⃣8️⃣ 5/10/22
  15. Tropical England ✅✅ silver 🟠 6.7% 2️⃣5️⃣ 12/11/22
  16. WI Porter ✅✅ black 6.7% 8️⃣ 15/11/22
  17. Dark Island ✅✅ silver 🟢 4.7% 8️⃣ 19/11/22
  18. Raspberry Wheat Beer ✅✅ dark Green 5.2% 2️⃣0️⃣ 20/11/22
  19. Citra/Mosaic IPA ✅✅ gold 7.0% 1️⃣8️⃣25/11/22
  20. Sierra Nevada ✅✅ light green 6.7% 2️⃣8️⃣ 1/12/22
Kegs & Barrels
  1. 🛢19 L Dark Island ✅✅ 4.7% 20/11/22
  2. 🛢19 L Exmoor Gold ✅✅ 5.0% 14/12/22

The blue number is quantity remaining.

I feel your pain, I am carrying and extra stone and a bit. Drinking beer is a gateway drug to everything else. Pizza's, nuts, crisps. I am doing a 10 mile race in 4 weeks time. Hopefully it kick starts my running again. I used to run marathon's a few years back.

I feel your pain, I am carrying and extra stone and a bit. Drinking beer is a gateway drug to everything else. Pizza's, nuts, crisps. I am doing a 10 mile race in 4 weeks time. Hopefully it kick starts my running again. I used to run marathon's a few years back.
I just run a couple of times during the week, 5K usually and parkrun on Saturday mornings. I’ve started doing longer runs on Sundays. I did 10K this morning. I’ve entered a Half Marathon at the end of August. Longest I’ve ever run is 15K. Hopefully I’ll be fit and have lost the extra pounds during the summer.

I just run a couple of times during the week, 5K usually and parkrun on Saturday mornings. I’ve started doing longer runs on Sundays. I did 10K this morning. I’ve entered a Half Marathon at the end of August. Longest I’ve ever run is 15K. Hopefully I’ll be fit and have lost the extra pounds during the summer.
Running is great for your mental health as well. The plan going forward for me is to cut down on the beer.... Run and get into some sort of shape.

Running is great for your mental health as well. The plan going forward for me is to cut down on the beer.... Run and get into some sort of shape.
Definitely - myself I like cycling, though over the past 3 months done very little, due to weather mainly.
I decided a while ago to restrict myself to a bottle of beer each on Friday/Saturday, with the usual unhealthy "treats". Very occasionally a spirit measure. In the week it's generally healthy diet keeping to sensible quantities.

Definitely - myself I like cycling, though over the past 3 months done very little, due to weather mainly.
I decided a while ago to restrict myself to a bottle of beer each on Friday/Saturday, with the usual unhealthy "treats". Very occasionally a spirit measure. In the week it's generally healthy diet keeping to sensible quantities.
I like anything outdoors, walking, running, cycling, surfing (badly)

Drinking beer is a gateway drug to everything else. Pizza's, nuts, crisps.
Yup ain't that the truth :(

Did a 5 mile walk up to kilvey hill today and kept off the chocolate.

not giving up beer though made too many other compromises with diet, I've had to swap chocolate for crisps (more saturated fat in crisps) and pepperoni is banned now. Made big changes to diet as well as one biscuit in morning - one in afternoon. when buying food almost always pick the healthier option. eg Coconut rice ditched for pilau as half the saturated fat. no more supernoodles(made with palm oil) rice instead.

probably need to cut down on imperial pastry stouts as well :rolleyes:

Bottles

1. Moonraker ✅✅White 8.5% 2️⃣ 28/10/21
  2. Belgium Triple ✅✅light blue 🟠 9.3% 3️⃣ 4/12/21
  3. Traquair House ✅✅silver 🟢 8.3% 3️⃣ 18/2/22
  4. Rye IPA ✅ ✅ blue 5.4% 9️⃣ 21/4/22
  5. Leffe Blonde ✅✅ gold 🟡 7.1% 3️⃣ 10/5/22
  6. Niagara Wheat beer ✅✅ red 6.2% 7️⃣ 7/6/22
  7. Andromeda ✅✅white 7.0% 2️⃣ 6/7/22
  8. AAA ✅✅ black 5.5% 3️⃣ 12/7/22
  9. Route Citra 6 Wheat ✅✅ silver 5.2% 2️⃣4️⃣ 27/7/22
  10. Belgian Kwak ✅✅red 7.6% 9️⃣ x33cl, 1️⃣5️⃣x50cl 17/8/22
  11. Munich Dunkel ✅✅purple 5.2% 1️⃣9️⃣ 31/8/22
  12. Tribute ✅✅ST’s 4.8% 1️⃣ 9/22
  13. NZIPA ✅✅ yellow 7.0% 8️⃣ 28/9/22
  14. Red X IPA ✅✅ silver 7.0% 1️⃣8️⃣ 5/10/22
  15. Tropical England ✅✅ silver 🟠 6.7% 2️⃣5️⃣ 12/11/22
  16. WI Porter ✅✅ black 6.7% 8️⃣ 15/11/22
  17. Dark Island ✅✅ silver 🟢 4.7% 8️⃣ 19/11/22
  18. Raspberry Wheat Beer ✅✅ dark Green 5.2% 2️⃣0️⃣ 20/11/22
  19. Citra/Mosaic IPA ✅✅ gold 7.0% 1️⃣8️⃣25/11/22
  20. Sierra Nevada ✅✅ light green 6.7% 2️⃣8️⃣ 1/12/22
Kegs & Barrels
  1. 🛢19 L Dark Island ✅✅ 4.7% 20/11/22
  2. 🛢19 L Exmoor Gold ✅✅ 5.0% 14/12/22

The blue number is quantity remaining.
Nice selection. Do you use a spreadsheet for 'stock' control?

Latest posts

Back