Building my first brewery!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleyguest

Reaction score
First of all, this site has many many useful threads and I have probably spent the last week reading most of them (to my other halves annoyance). I have brewed a few kits, a stovetop all grain and want to carry on with full AG brewing.

I have looked at a few 'starter kits' but the majority seem to be a 30 odd litre electric boiler (for both strike water, sparge and boil) and a converted cool box. I have been looking at a lot of videos and they all seem to use gas.

I had considered getting 2 X SS pots for water and boiling plus a double insulated SS pot for a mash tun. Using gas as a heat source. Obviously these are more expensive but should allow for greater flexibility and reliability. Or am I overthinking things?

I just want to brew a variety of beers with a decent setup. I would rather spend at the beginning rather than upgrade half way through. Also, I am not good at DIY and the thought of putting elements in a SS pot worries the other half!

I have also seen the grain father etc but fancy doing more of the work myself. As odd as that may sound!

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Your idea of buying SS pots and a thermopot is a good one, I got the same from Germany a few years back, and if you look around a few sites you will see that some come ready with elements or you can ask for them to be fitted. Fitting elements is not as difficult as it sounds, merely cutting a hole in the pot and attaching the element with a lock nut, no electrics involved really.You might have to check that your plug sockets will take the load if a large element or more than one fitted.
Go for the biggest you are ever likely to need as you can always half fill them

You will find loads of posts on here relating to DIY builds and can always ask questions if you get stuck.

PS I note you refer to "(to my other halves annoyance)" with the others halves being plural. It's bad enough trying to get past one for buying stuff never mind more!

Thanks Geetee! I assume you have a similar setup but use electric elements as your heat source? I guess the benefit of that is you can, with the right equipment, electronically manage the temperature of your water?

And yes, I'll leave my grammatically incorrect post as a lesson!

Thanks Geetee! I assume you have a similar setup but use electric elements as your heat source? I guess the benefit of that is you can, with the right equipment, electronically manage the temperature of your water?

And yes, I'll leave my grammatically incorrect post as a lesson!

I didn't mean to be pedantic but had to smile at the notion of more than one other half to contend with!

I chose electric cos it's easier to do indoors than a flaming furnace and as you say it's easier to automate than gas heating. Good luck with your choices, you're heading in the right direction but don't be put off by a little DIY, it's surprising what you can achieve with help from the guys on here!

I used to be a gas man, then went to gas + electric (OTS element), now all electric.

Easy to automate. Can leave it without fear of fires. More efficient (direct heating of wort rather than heating kettle). Can't run out of electricity half way through a brew as opposed to a bottle of gas.

Downside is obviously being limited to suitable circuits but if you can get the required power for the batch size, electric all the way.

If you're concerned about fitting elements, you can always go the OTS (over the side) element route using something similar to this.

I've just started with one of the biab starter kits after a couple of stove top brews.
I now use my 15litre pot for my sparge water.
Currently fermenting brew 2 with this kit and have at least 10 days to wait before tasting brew 1.

So far I'm very happy with the setup i have, if/when the plastic boiler gives up the ghost I know I can look for something ss to replace it or use it as a hlt and potentially look at 3 vessel setup. Electric works well for me in our current home.

You have to have a system that works for you and allows you to make beer you enjoy.

Back