Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just a big bag of extract. No additional sugar in the kit.

Not a particularly nice beer in my opinion. I won't be doing it again.

Me too! Dropped the hops in tonight, they smell great! Ready for bottling at the weekend.

A bit off topic, but yeah I'm looking forward to this youngs IPA. Mine is still fermenting away after 17 days in primary.

Did you drop the hops straight in? I was thinking of putting mine in a large muslin bag to stop bits getting into my pressure vessel.

A bit off topic, but yeah I'm looking forward to this youngs IPA. Mine is still fermenting away after 17 days in primary.

Did you drop the hops straight in? I was thinking of putting mine in a large muslin bag to stop bits getting into my pressure vessel.

Mines down to 1008, but not quite done I think, am banking on it being done by Sunday which will be 22 days.

Yeah I just used 3 small muslin bags and tied a knot in the end - saves clogging the tap and floaty bits in my beer!

Hi All,

Newby to the forum, but been reading all your comments for quite a while.

I kegged this back at the end of May after three weeks in FV. Moved the keg into the garage on 10-June.

It's now mid July and although it comes out of the keg with plenty of head, it goes flat very quickly in the glass and has quite a fruity taste - almost reminiscent of a Belgian beer.

I guess I have a few questions here:

1) Will the "fruitiness" mellow out over time?
2) Do I need to top up the keg with CO2?
3) Could these problems be due to the fact that the garage isn't much cooler than the house in the summer (and would a colder snap improve it)?

Cheers!

Si

I'd say you deffo need to top keg up with co2. I did this as my first beer last year. And wasn't impressed after initial tastings. But over time flavour mellowed and found it to be a nice drink.

1) Will the "fruitiness" mellow out over time?
2) Do I need to top up the keg with CO2?
3) Could these problems be due to the fact that the garage isn't much cooler than the house in the summer (and would a colder snap improve it)?

1. Yes, it will. It could take a couple of months to improve though! Did you ferment at over 20c? This can produce Belgian / banana esters. It will clear up though, given time.

3. See 1.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Fermentation was at around 20 degrees, but it was getting hotter as the summer came. I'll (try to) leave the half keg I have left for another month or two then.

Hi guys,

I started this brew about 5/6 days ago now (my first brew). Made a bit of a mistake and added 23 litres of water instead of up to 23 litres (I had about 3 litres too much brew). Went to my local brew shop and they advised adding 1kg of Coopers DIY beer. This then made the full thing overflow but took me down to the 23 litre mark (this was done nit even one day after I started). My question is this, is this goin to up the % higher than it already would have been? Its fermenting at about 22°C and saving hopps till the very end!

Cheers

Hi guys,

I started this brew about 5/6 days ago now (my first brew). Made a bit of a mistake and added 23 litres of water instead of up to 23 litres (I had about 3 litres too much brew). Went to my local brew shop and they advised adding 1kg of Coopers DIY beer. This then made the full thing overflow but took me down to the 23 litre mark (this was done nit even one day after I started). My question is this, is this goin to up the % higher than it already would have been? Its fermenting at about 22°C and saving hopps till the very end!

Cheers

It might just up the ABV a little, honestly with this one I might have left it alone, it's a strong kit anyway and it might well have handled being a little weaker without too much hassle. However a full kilo to 3 extra litres seems a lot. If you think with dried malt extract you can make a decent beer with 500g to a 5 litre (1 gallon) batch. I have hear that the RAF are looking for a new fuel source though........

I'd be interested in how this turns out

I thought that too. When I read the back it said 1 kg can give 23 litres of upto 4.6%... But who am I to question a guy who works in a brew shop?! But during the "explosion" when I added it I lost the extra 3 litres. I will definitely keep you guys posted!

My Evil Dog/Coopers hybrid is a pretty good success. Taste nice but very potent!! Needs a blast of CO2 as a bit if the flat side but that was due a leak in the keg. My question now is how long will it keep? Its in a keg, in a fridge?

Back