Burco power controller - can it be this simple?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to be able to turn the power down on my Burco Cygnet, as 6 (full power) is really, really vigorous and 5 doesn't even simmer.

If I got it up to boil, could I then plug one of these in to control the power, or will I die in a ball of Chinese shoddy build flames? Seems a really simple and cheap solution, so I'm suspicious.

Can anyone with more electrical knowledge than me advise?
Variable Voltage Regulator Speed Motor AC 220V 4000W SCR Controller High Power | eBay

I'd use an inkbird, and a contactor from Screwfix. Maybe it'll be twice the price of the linked product, but you can trust it.

I think these boilers are fitted with thermostats and not power regulators so to get a boil you turn them up to FULL. When turned down the thermostat will click ON and OFF to maintain temperature. I swapped out the thermostat on mine for a power regulator..

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/127549-energy-regulator-13a
which I guess is what your black box does. In theory should be OK but Chinese electrics can be iffy.

I used one of these from Aliexpress and put it in a tupperware box. Worked great, no boil overs.
thyristor.jpg

A burco simmerstat is a coarse control.
Digital is more accurate.

Analogue power controllers (above) imo are better still.

Edit: now without stooput spellins

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly. Yes.
And Tbh the digital bit is probably unnecessary.

Note of caution. NEVER run these flat out, if you need 100%. Build in a bypass. They will get vf hot.

Don't trust the fact they say 4000w on the box. No chance?

If you buy one in a box, check the earth. It is not normally connected.

It might work, but it's not a great way to approach the problem.

Essentially you want to control the power input rather than the voltage. If the boiler is hard wired to a fixed resistance heating element, without any gismos in between, then power becomes a function of voltage (more or less) However if you apply the same approach to a device that has control circuitry between it's mains input and heating element, a degree of uncertainty kicks in. It is possible that the internal circuitry will react to the lower voltage and compensate, leaving you back where you started.

I don't own a Burco and have never pulled one apart, but as they have been around since the dawn of time, it would not surprise me if the highest power setting is a simple direct connection to the element, that could be moderated, either through voltage control or through a mark/space power control system.

I have a boiler that works both as my mash tun and boiler, many years ago I had the same setup using an old Burco boiler, I direct connected the heating element and plugged it into an SSR/heat sink arrangement which I switch on and off with a temperature controller, the thermostat is a digital one built around the DS18B20 but can be any other type, for instance one of the cheap Chinese temperature controllers with the thermistor sensor. this will switch the power on and off around the temperature setpoint a switch can be added to this to turn the heating element on permanently for boil, as a mash tun I use my grain in a basket and spin it in the wort to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the mash

Latest posts

Back