tea urn repair/modification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centiweasel

Reaction score
Hi all,

i have been given a tea urn that no longer worked, i took it apart and decided to pull out all the random components, now all i am left with is the element and the power cord.
when i connect the element directly to the power cord it works,

however i dont think that its safe to use it like this, im worried that the wires will melt and i dont want to ruin the wiring in the house.

so im looking into getting somthing like this,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-400...190886?hash=item2f361ad466:g:RXQAAOSwqyFdb2CF

so basically am i right in thinking that i can put the power lead into the input terminals of the voltage regulator and the element wires into the output terminals and it will be ok?
that just leaves the earth wire that comes out of the power cord and goes into the pre-existing connector? just like before i dismantled it.

cheers for reading
regards
chris

hi, Gerryjo,
i just had a look at your thread, the urn i have looks pretty much like yours inside, only slightly different, it did have a switch but it went in the bin, i can get a new switch though if that is the problem,
it looks like you put the voltage regulator between the rocker switch and the mains plug?
my urn has no simmer stat either would you recommend having both?
i just want to use it to boil in and then dial it back slightly
think it only holds 20l and its 2500w so it might get a bit vigorous.

Hi mate, Iv ordered the voltage regulator and some switches so I’ll report back once they arrive,
I have an ink bird on a second tea urn but it still over shot the temp by a little bit had stir it to distribute the heat
Did the stat fix your overshoot?

Thanks for your help.

Hi mate, Iv ordered the voltage regulator and some switches so I’ll report back once they arrive
I have an ink bird on a second tea urn but it still over shot the temp by a little bit had stir it to distribute the heat
Did the stat fix your overshoot?

Thanks for your help.
A lot of people use the inkbird for temperature control boilers but beware they sre only rated for 10 amp output so if you had a 2500w element divided by your line voltage which is 230v which gives you (2500/230) 10.7A.They are fine for 2kw but when you go above this you are risking overload and possibly burning out your unit though I'm sure they have been tested to allow for 10%.

Back