C02 Bulbs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bear

Reaction score
Hi
Ive just started brewing again after 30yrs so class myself as a novice again. Have bought a King Keg pressure barrel with pin cap for c02 bulbs. In the instructions it said to test the barrel by half filling with water and injecting the gas. I put the bulb in the holder and turned as far as it would but nothing seemed to be happenig, so started to unscrew then heard noise of gas and it was escaping so tried again and same result, so tried third time and heard noise (a bit like a pressure cooker) but only after i unscrewed slightly so just left it for a few minutes then removed it. Barrel was quite cold so i assumed it must have gone in. But seems very hit and miss and wanted to be ready for when i will need to use it. my first beer is still fermenting so not just yet! Just wondered if anyone else has had this or any tips on making it easier? i thought it would be straight forward as not many options on how to use it but clearly im finding otherwise!! any help would be most welcome

Hi
Ive just started brewing again after 30yrs so class myself as a novice again. Have bought a King Keg pressure barrel with pin cap for c02 bulbs. In the instructions it said to test the barrel by half filling with water and injecting the gas. I put the bulb in the holder and turned as far as it would but nothing seemed to be happenig, so started to unscrew then heard noise of gas and it was escaping so tried again and same result, so tried third time and heard noise (a bit like a pressure cooker) but only after i unscrewed slightly so just left it for a few minutes then removed it. Barrel was quite cold so i assumed it must have gone in. But seems very hit and miss and wanted to be ready for when i will need to use it. my first beer is still fermenting so not just yet! Just wondered if anyone else has had this or any tips on making it easier? i thought it would be straight forward as not many options on how to use it but clearly im finding otherwise!! any help would be most welcome

I think I’ve had something similar in the past and the problem was the make of CO2 bulbs. I can’t remember which ones they were but the issue was the seal on the bulb didn’t break through on the first attempt. I changed brand and had no problems after.

I think I may have partly solved the issue with the ones I had by part screwing it down, unscrewing it, and screwing it in again - but it was s bit hit and miss.

I think I’ve had something similar in the past and the problem was the make of CO2 bulbs. I can’t remember which ones they were but the issue was the seal on the bulb didn’t break through on the first attempt. I changed brand and had no problems after.

I think I may have partly solved the issue with the ones I had by part screwing it down, unscrewing it, and screwing it in again - but it was s bit hit and miss.
That sounds exactly the same as my problem. On the third attempt i took it out and looked at the seal and could see it had been marked but not broken so when i put it back in it worked. I'll try a different brand when i've used these up but at least i can try your method with the current ones. Thanks so much for that a big help

Hi

For pressure testing, use a foot or bicycle pump on the schrader valve. (assuming you have one fitted!) Pump up to ~15 psi and douse diluted foamy washing up liquid around suspect joints.. Will cost a lot in CO2 bulbs to do otherwise.

I am with you on the 30+ years, I have just started again... First brew superb, good luck..
Thanks i started with a kit as thats what i remeber, was hoping to put it in barrel yesterday as been in fv for 8 days but could still see a bit of activity so cancelled idea :( but read that the kits are very optomistic in timelines so will try at the weekend again.

For pressure testing, use a foot or bicycle pump on the schrader valve. (assuming you have one fitted!) Pump up to ~15 psi and douse diluted foamy washing up liquid around suspect joints.. Will cost a lot in CO2 bulbs to do otherwise.
Thanks for that appreciate it

When you fit the capsule into the holder jam a little bit of card in above the bulb. As you tighten it down on the valve it will pierce.
Ah thanks I'll try that. do you stop turning as soon as you hear the hissing sound also mu holder looks pretty cheap i saw one with brass threads would that make any difference do you think?

Yeah I stop. I think it's just that some holders are cheaper copies and the sizing is a bit out...try the card trick I done it for ages with my Wilko barrel...but had a few issues,I even swapped the lid ..the things rubbish.

Yeah I stop. I think it's just that some holders are cheaper copies and the sizing is a bit out...try the card trick I done it for ages with my Wilko barrel...but had a few issues,I even swapped the lid ..the things rubbish.
yes deffo will try the card trick!! the one i had years ago was so much better made and never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back