Campden Tabs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtoos

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im just wondering if I should be using Campden tabs in my brew water? Im on a natural spring water supply so theres no chemical additions.

To be honest I haven't tested the water for its chemical makeup, but after brewing some nice extract kits I think its ok. Ive never used Campden tabs for rinsing my bottles or brewing.

Whats benefits would I expect to see? Is the main purpose to remove any excess oxygen in the water leading to oxygenation of the finished beer whilst bottling? Prior to bottling I sterilise caps and bottles, rinse with cold water and then let them drain down. The finished beer as no taints.

Im moving into the world of grains brewing and wonder if I should now be using them - or would using pre boiled water suffice?

Thanks in advance.

Main (only?) use of camden tablets in water treatment is removal of taint from Chlorine (it reacts with the Chlorine to make something harmless). Shouldn't be necessary with spring water.

You should check out your water for mineral content and hardness/softness etc. That way you could adjust to the style of beer you are making. As Dr Mike says no need for Campden tablets as they only remove the chlorine which you won't have in spring water.

Hi guys,

Thanks for you replies.

Whats the best way/kit to test the water?

Thanks

I use a Salifert kit for alkalinity so I can put the correct amount of CRS in. I think they do a Calcium one as well (they're really aimed at aquarium keepers)

wow thanks keith1664 what a great service at a reasonable price...I'll be doing that in the very near future

also a Salifert kit enables you to test the alkalinity on brew day. mine varies between 70 - 150 ppm

Back