can i add more yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jans1971

Reaction score
im doing a stout kit and its been fermenting for 4 days but seems to have nearly stopped , its started at 1040 and iv just taken a reading and is only at 1020, so no where nearly finish , can i add some more yeast to get it going again , iv given it a good stir and thats not made any differance, or just wait longer.

Can't see a problem there...and you've give it a stir....check it again see if it's moved from 1020...if it was me then I think I would make another starter...try that. :pray: :pray:

Hmmm odd.

Dieseljockey said:
Can't see a problem there...and you've give it a stir....check it again see if it's moved from 1020...if it was me then I think I would make another starter...try that. :pray: :pray:

Stuck fermentations are usually fixed with a) warming to room temp then (if that doesnt work) b) new yeast

Its possible that the yeast that has been busy in your beer is a mutant strain that has a hard time fermenting the higher sugars (bigger sugars). Adding new fresh yeast will correct this, although the existing yeast might still be able to do the job, given time. Either way, another packet of yeast should fix it.

If it doesnt...eeek

Or maybe a new hydrometer :rofl:

ChemPaul said:
Hmmm odd.

Dieseljockey said:

Stuck fermentations are usually fixed with a) warming to room temp then (if that doesnt work) b) new yeast

Its possible that the yeast that has been busy in your beer is a mutant strain that has a hard time fermenting the higher sugars (bigger sugars). Adding new fresh yeast will correct this, although the existing yeast might still be able to do the job, given time. Either way, another packet of yeast should fix it.

If it doesnt...eeek

Or maybe a new hydrometer :rofl:
added some more newyeast 2 days ago and nothing happened still at 1020 , dont know what to do now , bottle some low alcahol stout ????? :(

i put less water so it would be a stronger stout 18L instead of 23L, added 500g os dark spray malt and 300g of brewing sugar, is there a really good yeast that might get this going . at the moment this will be 2.4% not good

i have given it a good stir and now the air lock bubbles about every 15 mins so its doing some thing

Should read 1.000 in water I think. Mine reads 1.001 but I think water temp will affect it a little and my water is probably not much above 5c, and also i don't think they are particularly accurate unless you pay hundreds of pounds for a industrial one. However I would have thought it should come close to 1.000.

Which means your Wherry is at 1.015 which Ray Ashworth the founder of Woodfordes says is what the pub Wherry is designed to finish at as he likes a bit of residual sweetness in his beers.

You might be able to move the scale tin the correct direction, by gently tapping the end of the hydrometer on a hard surface . . . tap the end of the hydrometer which is in the direction you want the scale to move in.

Latest posts

Back