Can I dump wort straight into this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I’m bottling a Belgian tripel right now (under pressure transfer straight into bottles) I’m planning on doing a brew tomorrow, I’ve only got extra pale ale malt and various hops but I was wondering peoples thoughts on pumping the wort from tomorrow straight into this fv that’s been left under pressure tonight until it’s needed tomorrow.
Am I asking for an infection? I’ve asked this question before but that was more about leaving the fv under pressure with the trub inside for weeks or at least more than a couple of days!
Anyone have thoughts on this? Should I just clean it and use new yeast?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
All of my instincts tell me that's not the best idea and I'm sure everyone else will disagree with me, but I say go for it. If you have kept everything clean and sterile up until this point it still will be. Although the dried bits where the krawsen was would worry me just a little.

There may be other issues though:

If this is the first reuse of the yeast you should be ok (if you do multiple it can build up trube and hop bits and the yeast may need a rinse).

You may get some transfer of flavours to the new batch, so if you were planning on something with a subtle flavour you might be better off with new yeast.

I would worry about over-pitching as well. A triple will have produced LOADS of yeast so unless you are doing a big Quad or something, you may want to take some of the yeast out. I think there's a yeast pitching calculator on Mr Malty Mrmalty.com.

The other caveat is I have done a bit of yeast reuse and it works well, you don't have to worry too much, but I have not done it with a Belgian yeast so I hope the answers are relevant for this type of yeast.

If the Triple looks good and you're doing another Belgian next I would definitely use the same yeast (as long as there were no issues with the triple there is no reason to need new yeast, save the money).

Give the yeast a wash and reuse it:

https://www.beercraftr.com/yeast-washing/
It should be a better fermentation, too. The only thing is that most of the character of Belgian beers comes from the yeast and a "better fermentation" may give you a slightly different ester/phenol profile.

Just bottled a beer, left the last ½ litre on the trub, gave it a good swirl and jugged ¾ of a litre of the slurry into a new brew in a new FV. I'm expecting a very short lag time, fast ferment and a splendid beer.

Never done it but have read in many places it's fine. If it's currently under CO2 then think about re-oxygenating once you've transferred the wort onto it but I see no reason why it should be an issue. Its clean enough and any 'stuff' will just settle out in this fermentation trub.

Ok, I’m going to jump on this thread rather than start another but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts please. Today I made a pale ale using CML Kveik Hornindal. Never used this strain of Kveik before but I do know they need a lot of nutrients. I actually used the last of my yeast nutrients on this batch so here is my question. My plan is re reuse this yeast for my next batch and what I usually do is give the fermenter a good swirl after kegging the last lot, lose about half the slurry, and dump the next wort straight on top. Do you think I can be confident that I won’t need and yeast nutrient for the next batch as there’s likely to be plenty of dead yeast left in amongst the live stuff to act as a nutrient?

Ah, so it is only the dried Kveik that needs additional nutrients then? I’ve never used any liquid yeast.

I don't know for sure so just spitballing but I imagine liquid kveik would be similar in its need for nutrients. My thinking is that the strain(s) has mutated and adapted to its "original" (i.e. gårdsøl) use and process (e.g. potentially unboiled wort, being air dried, warm fermentation) that may have impacted it's nutrient uptake.

Reminds me to finish Lars' book.

I don't know for sure so just spitballing but I imagine liquid kveik would be similar in its need for nutrients. My thinking is that the strain(s) has mutated and adapted to its "original" (i.e. gårdsøl) use and process (e.g. potentially unboiled wort, being air dried, warm fermentation) that may have impacted it's nutrient uptake.

Reminds me to finish Lars' book.

I see, but surely the yeast cake would contain dead yeast cells as well as liquid yeast? I was wondering if these could be a source of nutrients??

Edit - Or would I be better off chucking some into the kettle towards the end of the boil?

Back