Cara munich malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eightball

Reaction score
Hi

I have a recipe that calls for cara munich malt, but when I look the seems to be 3 different types? Does anyone know which I should use? I will type the recipe below:-

Belgian Abbey
9.3 lbs Northwestern Gold
I am planning on using this: http://themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a ... oductId=67
10 oz CaraMunich malt
2 oz Mount Hood
0.5 oz Hersbrucker
Wyeast 1214

Ian

I or II. But I wouldn't bother and use just regular crystal or any other caramel malt rated at 100 - 130 EBC.

Really? I have Crystal already.... What is this malt doing in this instance, is it merely the colour?

And do you think the malt extract I have substituted is the best to use, or would there be something better suited to the style?

I personally wouldn't regard crystal as a substitute for munich.
The munichs give a rich and sometimes exaggerated maltiness (depending on quantity used), where to my palette the crystals give caramel and toffee notes.

I've made two beers with Caramunich and it's really good. it gives your beer a big profile with just 250g and pale malt.

you can sub crystal, but with that recipe i'd try and get proper caramalt. it'd sit lovely in a belgian beer.

Ok, so I'll get cara Munich type II, but what do you reckon about the extract? Is what I have gone for the best for a Belgian?

Def get the Caramunich, it's a German crystal malt but it's got a different character. And it's good.

Did not get any distinctive flavour from caramunich compared to other continental caramel malts, like Castle Malting caragold or DMG cara 130.

Caramunich isnt a munich malt it's a caramel malt I.e. it never was a munich malt. As has been discussed it's not as roasted as crystal malts. So substituting crystal malt rather than another caramel malt may give you a flavour profile you wouldnt want.

Back