Caramel Cream Ale Recipe Help Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the US and the crystal malts I buy are labeled in lovibond [ L ] units. If you want your ale on the sweet side I suggest use of low L crystal malts instead of the 65 and 85 SRM variety...I second the others when they say to keep the crystal lower than your original idea. I find crystal above 5 to 7 percent risks cloying sweetness in the finished beer. Also I would keep the mash temperature near 10 degrees celcius to make sure the beer ferments out. I like the Golden Promise. the beers I make with GP are always more malty than with M.O. or US 2-row malts. For years I've tried to capture the caramel-like flavor in Fullers ESB...I had some success by taking a liter of the first wort from the mash tun and boiling this down to a viscous, dark syrup. This produces a sweetish, malty flavor that may be nice in your beer.

Bill Frazier
Kansas City, USA

fisherman said:
I have been online to e-bay Salifert Alkalinity and hardness test kit £7. 50 inc postage from marine aquatics in Bristol. I have e-mailed them a request for the best before date which can take up to 2 days.I cannot see the point in buying a kit with a bad use by date. I test my tapwater before every brew and also after I have dosed with CRS to check the alkalinity has been reduced. If you have little water and mineral expertise I am quite willing to help with my limited knowledge. Once you have your alkalinity sorted that should help you sort out what type of beer suits your water profile.

Thanks so much for the kind offer pal, really appreciate it.
As I haven't a clue it will be a massive help to learn from you.
I'll wait and then take the advice from you.
I was actually going to do another Brew today, but thought NO! Wait and get the advice the kit and test the water.
I'm fascinated on how you can get your brew to your liking just by the water, but it makes big sense.
I'm away til Monday but I'll be coming on here and I will order the kit you suggest once you get your reply.
Thanks again m8 :thumb:
ATB
Bri

BillinKC said:
I'm in the US and the crystal malts I buy are labeled in lovibond [ L ] units. If you want your ale on the sweet side I suggest use of low L crystal malts instead of the 65 and 85 SRM variety...I second the others when they say to keep the crystal lower than your original idea. I find crystal above 5 to 7 percent risks cloying sweetness in the finished beer. Also I would keep the mash temperature near 10 degrees celcius to make sure the beer ferments out. I like the Golden Promise. the beers I make with GP are always more malty than with M.O. or US 2-row malts. For years I've tried to capture the caramel-like flavor in Fullers ESB...I had some success by taking a liter of the first wort from the mash tun and boiling this down to a viscous, dark syrup. This produces a sweetish, malty flavor that may be nice in your beer.

Bill Frazier
Kansas City, USA

Hello Bill,
Thanks for the great advice.
I had all ideas of less aroma hops which I did, but no buttering hops.
I was going to do less % crystal and maybe increase the mash temp! but I stuck to the recipe and the mash temp.
As I said the only changes other than less hops was I didn't have the full amount of GP and supplemented 1.5kg of Rye Malt and added Lactose @ 15mins.
As I said on my thread I was surprised in the taste.
Not as sweet as I thought it was going to be, think by sticking to the suggested recipe this was achieved.
Got to say it has to be the most enjoyable brew to date, think partly with experimenting with the hops at different times of the boil.
ATB
Bri

Best use by date for the Salifert alkainity test kit is 9/2018. So fine to buy.

Got the salifert KH/Alk test kit.
After the instructions being vague, I did Pm our fisherman then looked on Utube.
So I tested both the hot (as I use that for the HLT) and the cold.
The following readings are, so couldn't anyone tell me what it means :D
Hot- 0.72 on ml reading, 4.1dKH, 1.48 Alkalinity in meq/L
Cold- 0.70' 4.5dKH, 1.59 Alkalinity in meq/L

ATB
Bri

Hi, test your alkalinity on cold water. Post me the reading mq. Lit and I will work it out for you to try for your first brew. I will pm you in the morning. My test I add 4 ml of tap water into the plastic tube add two drops of colour solution then add test solution until it fades to pale purple just before it goes red look at the reading on the plats tic syringe and write it down and send it to me. I will explain how to work it out next time.

fisherman said:
I will work out mq. Lt 1.59 for you in the morning

Cheers buddy,
As I mentioned the instructions weren't that clear, but a few utube clips helped.
The readings were using 4 drops of the KH Ind solution and the reading as soon as it got pink.
So I will do another with 2 drops etc as you suggest and I'll fire it off to you m8
Thanks pal
ATB
Bri

Latest posts

Back