carbination drops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVFC BREWER

Reaction score
Jus wondering if anyone has used these and if so are they any good? Was told about them in my local homebrew shop the other day so was looking for some advice on whether or not to get any cheers

Used them in the early days of brewing last year as they came in the kit I ordered, not too bad if you have no extra FV to batch prime. They don't dissolve easy but they do work.

I got another keg so will batch prime in that but after a few weeks was gonna bottle some up was thinking of using them then?

Yep I've used them and they work well they just work out slightly more expensive than buying the glucose. I use one for each bottle and it gives a nice even carbonation. If I do an APA or IPA i use 2.

AVFC BREWER said:
I got another keg so will batch prime in that but after a few weeks was gonna bottle some up was thinking of using them then?

You'd be better off batch priming then syphoning some to bottles straight away rather than doing it later on. I think some people manage to do it by chilling their kegs right down but you could end up with flat beer in your bottles :shock:
I wouldn't bother with the carbonation drops just use normal sugar or brewing sugar in the keg when you batch prime
:cheers:

Cheers so if i batch prime and bottle straight away i wont need to add extra sugar to bottles yeah?

Cheers when i keg and bottle it how long should i keep it in the warm and what sort of temp before moving it to a colder place

AVFC BREWER said:
Cheers when i keg and bottle it how long should i keep it in the warm and what sort of temp before moving it to a colder place

Week or so in the warm ( 18~22C ) then move to cooler storage (< = 12 C )...

I give mine 3 weeks in the warm and then move them to the cool. they might be drinkable after a week but they get much better head and lace after a few weeks!

you get better results priming with dried malt extract since using i won't go back to using sugar for beers , surprised no one mentioned it :wha:

yep , use same as sugar gram for gram , boil water add spray dried malt extract mix well let cool add to brew bingo .

pittsy said:
you get better results priming with dried malt extract since using i won't go back to using sugar for beers , surprised no one mentioned it :wha:

The percentage of priming sugar to the brew total is so small it's unlikely to even be detectable whether white sugar ... brewing sugar... or dried malt extract was used ... It makes no noticeable difference for priming.

i totally disagree primed 2 kegs with sugar both flat 2 kegs with malt more bubbles that you can poke a stick at so then risked opening failed kegs added malt now that 1 is great all only took 1 day to prime (although still left warm longer for better results) maybe its just a freak thing but thats what happened to me also on top of page in brew questions its mentioned better results with malt ,either way im def sticking to using malt

pittsy said:
i totally disagree primed 2 kegs with sugar both flat 2 kegs with malt more bubbles that you can poke a stick at so then risked opening failed kegs added malt now that 1 is great all only took 1 day to prime (although still left warm longer for better results) maybe its just a freak thing but thats what happened to me also on top of page in brew questions its mentioned better results with malt ,either way im def sticking to using malt

Dried Malt Extract is by far the best to use in general brewing as a main sugar to add in replacement to normal sugars, but then your adding large amounts of it and it does have a profound effect on mouthfeel, body, taste and head quality. That's not under question, what I dispute is the tiny amount added for priming purposes is going to have any noticeable effect over other sugars used for priming. It maybe that your brewing techniques and procedures have improved at the same time as you changed to DME trying to find a solution to your flat kegs and you have mistakenly attributed the change to DME for priming as being the 'cure'...

In reality it doesn't matter for priming purposes what you use dried malt extract, white sugar or dextrose. So if DME is to your liking that's fine.

StrangeBrew said:
In reality it doesn't matter for priming purposes what you use dried malt extract, white sugar or dextrose. So if DME is to your liking that's fine.

I agree mate have tried priming with all of them and never found any difference to be honest, i just use brewing sugar because i find that its dissolves better but have used normal sugar plenty of times without any problems :thumb:

Latest posts

Back