Oxidation using Boel itap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, this is my set up for my Boel itap, I recently brewed an neipa in my all-rounder, I only let the pressure build up to cold crash. I then added a bit more pressure and bottled 6 bottles using the itap and then kegged the rest via closed transfer. I have had 3 of the bottles and 2 of them had oxidation but one hadn't. Can anyone explain to me how this has happened please. To fix the carbination caps I cut the top off of 2 coke bottles and glued them to the wood and the just screw the caps on, could oxygen be getting in through them. To be honest when I tried bottling from a keg of carbinated beer I got alot of foam.

Attachments

• 20231018_155509.jpg
    20231018_155509.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4
Could be process - couple of things to think about:

How did you purge the bottles before filling? as all the 'action' is at the top of the bottle you probably want to pressurise it and then release a few times rather than having both inlet and outlet valves open at the same time.
Did you cap on foam? I know the whole idea of counter-pressure is to reduce foam, but I'd still aim for a bit of foam for this reason.

disclaimer - right now I use a beer gun but I'm looking at moving to counter-pressure so have been doing some research and actually was looking at this style of unit.

Did you purge your line from the fermenter to iTap? Odd that only two bottles were oxidised so maybe the first two? though you'd have thought the flow of beer for the first bottle would have purged the line for the rest. I have oxidised a keg before because I forgot to purge the line between the co2 cylinder and keg before connecting.

The only way the beer can become oxidised in this setup is if you have air in your fermenter, in the line between fermenter and iTap or in the line between CO2 bottle and iTap.

Not even sure its necessary to cap on foam...if your beer is carbonated and you have purged the bottle then the air in the bottle neck 'headspace' will be CO2 anyway and the carbonated beer will be off-gassing CO2 also even if its not forming a foamy head...the sight of a foamy head is just reassuring as a positive visual cue.

I’ve never had bottles keep so long and fresh since using the iTap so I doubt it’s the tap.

Maybe the process of the filling or crown caps.

Latest posts

Back