Cascade smash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prog99

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I was meant to brew tomorrow , 1st time in months. Yeast bought from CML but I've just discovered my only hops are a few 100 grammes of last years cascade (home grown) of unknown AA.
I've loads of speciality malts (crystal, chocolate, Munich, carapils and a few others) and obviously pale malt.

Thinking a simple pale with some Munich & carapils and then a guesstimate with the hops with a final dry hop. As I said I have no idea as to the AA of my hops.

Cascade pale ale is my regular brew. 4kg pale malt, 0.4kg Carapils and 0.1kg crystal. 10gm fuggles 60 minutes, 30gm cascade 30 minutes, 30gm cascade 15 minutes and 40gm cascade for 30 minutes at 80C. I prefer Verdant IPA yeast.

Made gallons & gallons of this.

4kg base
500g wheat malt
or cara
or 50/50 wheat&porridge oats

Mash @ 65c 60m

45 min boil
30g@15m
40g@30m
50g@85°c

Marvellous beer

My go to regular brew is a Cascade Smash using homegrown cascade and Hook Head pilsner malt. A totally reliable excellent pale ale.
For a 4 gallon (18L) brew: 7Lb pale malt, 1 oz (28g) cascade at 75m, 1 oz at 15m and 1 oz at flameout.
I've almost stopped buying in speciality malts etc as why bother when you can make such a great beer without?

Do you mean you have nothing else? You may have to brew based on a guessed AA and adjust bitterness during the fermentation using a hop tea?
Yes, I found 20g of saaz in the back of the freezer as well! Bit stupid given I’d ordered the yeast from cml.

My go to regular brew is a Cascade Smash using homegrown cascade and Hook Head pilsner malt. A totally reliable excellent pale ale.
For a 4 gallon (18L) brew: 7Lb pale malt, 1 oz (28g) cascade at 75m, 1 oz at 15m and 1 oz at flameout.
I've almost stopped buying in speciality malts etc as why bother when you can make such a great beer without?
Thanks, that’s pretty much what I have concocted. I’ll dry hop as well.
The speciality malts I have are for stouts, Belgium ales etc

Don't worry too much about not knowing the AA for your home-grown Cascade, there's a fairly narrow range for the British variety 5.3-6.8% so plumping for say 6% in your calculations and you won't be far off. I do this with my own home-grown Cascade.

Really simple recipe I use: 95% Pale Malt, 5% Carapils, bitter to 35-40 IBU with a 50g hop steep at the end. Don't like dry hopping as I always seem to end up with infections.

I to no longer use speciality malts, i find i have more control over the brew, i don't have as many yeah that's a bit meh brews

Back