Cask Condition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackemBrew

Reaction score
Any one able to provide a good guide on how to cask condition beer. My thoughts are its similar to bottle conditioning.

Beer into cask before final gravity is reached, finings in, seal cask, wait a couple of weeks (?)...how far off am I?

See the guide in my signature below (the "treatise"). It's not a guide to "cask conditioned" but a guide to how to emulate it at home. But goes over what happens in "cask conditioning" to provide the backbone for emulating it. You can't copy "cask conditioning", but you can waste a lot of home-brew trying.

See the guide in my signature below (the "treatise"). It's not a guide to "cask conditioned" but a guide to how to emulate it at home. But goes over what happens in "cask conditioning" to provide the backbone for emulating it. You can't copy "cask conditioning", but you can waste a lot of home-brew trying.

Thanks Peebee, I was actually looking for info on how this is done on a commercial scale, ie how casks are prepared for pubs, not to replicate at home. Thanks for the piece though, definitely some takeaway points from it.

Any one able to provide a good guide on how to cask condition beer. My thoughts are its similar to bottle conditioning.

Beer into cask before final gravity is reached, finings in, seal cask, wait a couple of weeks (?)...how far off am I?
I posted this, yesterday. I think I should have said that although some pressure builds up in the cask before it is broached, This is released when the spile is knocked in.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/the-quest-for-the-perfect-bitter.93106/post-1016158

Latest posts

Back