champagne yeast in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewberoza

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience using champagne yeast? Am thinking of making something strong, dry and hoppy but know champagne can be really carbonated.

Not done it myself but I was going to use it to bottle condition a Belgian Dubbel, you could try asking on jims beer kit forum or the craft brewing one I'm sure someone on there will have done it.

Not done it myself but I was going to use it to bottle condition a Belgian Dubbel, you could try asking on jims beer kit forum or the craft brewing one I'm sure someone on there will have done it.

I remember that Ben Turner used to recommend using an ale yeast, then a champagne yeast in making Barley Wine. The champagne was only added when the ale yeast gave up. I think that the wine yeasts tend to convert more sugars as well as at a higher ABV.

Since then, the yeasts available to home brewers have changed for the better and in the Grains Hops Yeast and Water section there is a "Sticky" which is a yeast chart that indicates which yeasts can do what.

So If I understand you right, You ferment something with a regular beer yeast and it does its thing, then add champagne yeast to get rid the last few degrees. Is this accurate?

How does one calculate how much to use then what about re-priming and the danger of bottle bombs?

I will check out the sticky in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back