Cherry cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
23 x Del Monte apple and a bit of cherry syrup, rest will get chucked in for priming

optimistic about this one being a taste explosion

a0000000000000.jpg

Just bought this cherry syrup from lidl @99p. Gonna give a gallon a go:D

had a first wee try tonight and it's pretty good, even when not icy cold, going to try and leave some for a bit to improve a little..

pretty chuffed, I put a bit more lowicz syrup in that recommended in one of my other posts about priming and it's spot on, more like slightly sparkling if anything

Going to bottle mine this weekend(9ltr), used about half the cherry lowitz so might rack the cider onto some more lowitz for priming before bottling instead of sugar.

Yeh I would def use a whole bottle of syrup to prime next time, I've bottled a cider with more than that sugar wise before and it was slightly over fizzy but still OK

That's the only criticism I'd make of the one I just made, not quite fizzy enough. The bubbles seem to disappear more quickly that commercial cider too, on the odd occasion it's still in the glass before the ice melts haha

Be interested to hear how it turns out with 440ml of Lowicz in it

Going to bottle mine this weekend(9ltr), used about half the cherry lowitz so might rack the cider onto some more lowitz for priming before bottling instead of sugar.

Oops just noticed you're doing 9ltrs, my comments were for 22ltrs !

Half a bottle of Lowicz should be about right for you then I reckon

Yeh I would def use a whole bottle of syrup to prime next time, I've bottled a cider with more than that sugar wise before and it was slightly over fizzy but still OK

That's the only criticism I'd make of the one I just made, not quite fizzy enough. The bubbles seem to disappear more quickly that commercial cider too, on the odd occasion it's still in the glass before the ice melts haha

Be interested to hear how it turns out with 440ml of Lowicz in it

Oops just noticed you're doing 9ltrs, my comments were for 22ltrs !

Half a bottle of Lowicz should be about right for you then I reckon

I used just 100ml lowitz for priming (has 85g sugar per 100ml in it) so figured this should be enough. I'll let you know if it carbs up OK, but looks lush in the bottles. Put 1tsp of canderel sweetener in half of the bottles too to compare.

I made some cherry TC using a cherry juice drink and apple (50%-50%), was very nice (back sweetened of course).

I would like to find some of this, I have been keeping my eye out at aldi, but dont have a lidl too near by.

I made some cherry TC using a cherry juice drink and apple (50%-50%), was very nice (back sweetened of course).

I would like to find some of this, I have been keeping my eye out at aldi, but dont have a lidl too near by.

If you have an Asda they sell it in the Polish food section.

Cool, ill keep an eye out! Might also be nice in small quantities in a red wine

They sell it in Tesco too on the Polish aisle.
I have a raspberry and lime flower waiting to be used.

A taste test between this one and an almost identical raspberry variety (same method, different Lowicz syrup), and the raspberry comes out way on top.

Cherry is a bit too sharp in comparison, although the rasp is by no means sweet

I used just 100ml lowitz for priming (has 85g sugar per 100ml in it) so figured this should be enough. I'll let you know if it carbs up OK, but looks lush in the bottles. Put 1tsp of canderel sweetener in half of the bottles too to compare.
This carbed up great, only got a few 500ml bottles left. I must add this is a bit strong for me as I feel pi**ed after 3bottles. And the cherry flavour isn't as nice as the dimes sour cherry version I did.
May give the raspberry version a go though.

What was the taste of the candarel vs no candarel bottles like ?

I'm wanting to try another cherry recipe, what proportion of Dimes cherry did you put in - did you use that for priming/flavouring at the end, or in the primary fermentation ?

This carbed up great, only got a few 500ml bottles left. I must add this is a bit strong for me as I feel pi**ed after 3bottles. And the cherry flavour isn't as nice as the dimes sour cherry version I did.
May give the raspberry version a go though.

Back